Ceramic lifters in an early E-Tech

I have a question.?  I just stripped an E-Tech. It is 11 years old built by the Mack Re-man center.  What surprised me is that it has Ceramic lifters.. But does not have spring loaded exhaust pushrods. Why do I feel like I havent seen that combo before? What am I missing here? It is in a 2001 RD..  I thought CCRS had spring loaded pushrods, and was a year later?  I wish I had saved the cam from the ASET-C  I just finished yesterday to look at the back-cut on the cam.  That's all I can think of..  Even though I have built many of these, every once in a while I have a question..  And MackVo is no help at all... Hell they dont even know what I'm working on anymore.. Since I found BMT,  I don't mind asking question's, even if I should already know the answer by now...  jojo

sorry can't answer the question either Joe!  kind of  weird the reman center center didn't pick up on that ! all thou someone may have been into it after the fact! That said is the engine equipped with engine brake! This could have made the difference? just sayin! 

yes. 690 jacobs...  this is the first time it has been apart, according to the owner.    I have to say,,,, it did run for 11 years...   I ordered a cam kit through ATL Diesel.  it is a PAI kit, and ceramic lifters and ceramic EUP lifters are listed in the parts list.. I havent ever seen ceramic EUP lifters before, either..  Of course I can't call my Mack dealer to get answers to my questions...  Just when I thought I knew the E-Tech  'top-to-bottom',,,,  this crap pops up.  :) jojo

I’m not sure but I think 2002 was when the spring loaded rods came out and I think it was a fix for the old or original ceramics cam followers cracking or chipping. I may be wrong but something like that   If it was a Mack reman then it should have the updated spring loaded rods. Dunno why it wouldn’t 

Edited by mrgumby

2 hours ago, fjh said:

sorry can't answer the question either Joe!  kind of  weird the reman center center didn't pick up on that ! all thou someone may have been into it after the fact! That said is the engine equipped with engine brake! This could have made the difference? just sayin! 

Well may be contact the PAI guys and ask! They are quite knowledgeable dudes and from my experience here in Canada Good at answering questions! Can't hurt to ask!

Edited by fjh

E-Tech...  I am using the part number that the reman center installed originally.  I prefer steel rollers..   The owner didnt want me to stray from the current part number as well..  and since I literally, finished an ASET-C the day before, with ceramic lifters, he said to do it again, with this E-Tech..  As far as calling PAI,  I would like to but the owner pulled out his credit card and paid for the parts I put in the 'Cart'..  It's ok...   I will just build it with what comes..   Thanks guy's... jojo

I have to correct my posting..  I said that this engine did not have spring loaded pushrods..  I went back to the job site today and realized I had 2 different boxes of parts from 2 different engines..  I guess I got too busy, and my helper moved parts and I didnt pay attention..  sorry guys.. It does have spring loaded pushrods..  I start to re assemble tomorrow..   jojo

• Like 1

😂 I was getting ready to scream DO NOT PUT THAT THING TOGETHER 😂 

My knowledge has been ceramic lifters required spring loaded rods. 

We had one a couple months ago that had steel, dealer sent us ceramic, and swore that's what it called for. Turned out there was something they missed option wise when ordering the parts. The camshaft was a different part number as well, so I'm assuming a steel roller cam is different than ceramic roller cam.