2009 MACK GU813 Excessive Black smoke/ plugged DPF in 3 days

There should be a law also put in place that if they’re going to continue to load these trucks with high dollar and high heat making parts (engine killers). Then they must be easy to access, change, and be affordable. A piece of shit/prone to failure VGT shouldn’t be 3k+. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

Just used soapy water once the truck was cold. With an exhaust leak that bad should be able to find quickly even at idle. Correct me if im wrong, but I believe you wont find any leaks after the egr valve during regen as the valve should be closed? However I do like that hot water trick!

The pressure builds both directions so the closed valve actually helps build pressure by spooling the turbo at lower rpm’s I believe!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fjh said:

The pressure builds both directions so the closed valve actually helps build pressure by spooling the turbo at lower rpm’s I believe!

Ahhhh now that you say that, that makes perfect sense!

58 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

Good call bro

I did not have much to do with red engines ! Work wise that said I did however have input into how they were diagnosed! You simply have to try and pay attention to what you hear and see and apply some old school no how! The water trick can be used to find exhaust and head gasket leaks you can’t see as well!if it’s making a sound try and change the sound!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

It was leaking all around but when I took it off, the bottom of the gasket was gone so you couldn’t see it. That half must have burned up to nothing because it was no where to be found. And yes I looked in the cooler to make sure it wasn’t in there haha. 

These gaskets are garbage ! I have said many times these guys thru out all the good Mack ideas instead of using them! The egr oring on the aset was a perfect example if you must recycle exhaust gas this was perfect oring and flange to do the job!

Engine mounts another good example ! Nothing simple about any of the Volvo trash ideas! You said it in your previous post there should be a law!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, fjh said:

These gaskets are garbage ! I have said many times these guys thru out all the good Mack ideas instead of using them! The egr oring on the aset was a perfect example if you must recycle exhaust gas this was perfect oring and flange to do the job!

Engine mounts another good example ! Nothing simple about any of the Volvo trash ideas! You said it in your previous post there should be a law!

They are garbage, they also have to placed in a correct way….I feel like most people don’t know that either. Which is Volvos fault for shit parts and lack of/hidden information. 

one of my issues with a lot of parts is that there isnt even instructions, or a 'cheat sheet' in the box...  sometimes parts are updated, and there is nothing to show you how to install it..  Im not saying every part, just a boat load of them from dealership's  .. jojo

• Like 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

one of my issues with a lot of parts is that there isnt even instructions, or a 'cheat sheet' in the box...  sometimes parts are updated, and there is nothing to show you how to install it..  Im not saying every part, just a boat load of them from dealership's  .. jojo

Agreed so I make a habit of checking the procedure on truck portal. A lot of times there are updated parts and they don’t say anything about it 

• Sad 1

This BMT place is a great place to get amazing info, to help in many different way's...   Dealership's could learn a lot from BMT...   I spend a lot of time here because it is a great place to be..   Jojo

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fjh said:

Yup good on you for posting stuff ! Really helps when people care about what they do for other’s! In the day and age it seems folks don’t give a rats ass about much! Many guys here are helpful! It’s a good thing!

As well to you, Joey Mack, and a lot of others on here! I agree soo much on people not giving a shit about anyone but themselves. 

Just now, Joey Mack said:

This BMT place is a great place to get amazing info, to help in many different way's...   Dealership's could learn a lot from BMT...   I spend a lot of time here because it is a great place to be..   Jojo

That’s because everyone on here has been there done something all of us have not. Everyone has some kind of helpful knowledge for someone on here. Apparently dealerships have turned into a nightmare for the most part. Seems like they are the last place to go if you have an issue with your truck, if that. Most dealerships can’t even find people to stick around longer then two weeks. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

That’s because everyone on here has been there done something all of us have not. Everyone has some kind of helpful knowledge for someone on here. Apparently dealerships have turned into a nightmare for the most part. Seems like they are the last place to go if you have an issue with your truck, if that. Most dealerships can’t even find people to stick around longer then two weeks. 

Yup all about the money!

I stopped by our place today they say that they lost another pair of guys to a Volvo trash machine outlet! Now have 3 technicians and 8 apprentices imagine the quality of work leaving the shop! Mean while you have to teach morals as well as mechanics to these lazy shits that don’t care about nothing but the pay cheque! Couldn’t  even think about going back to that environment!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I'm done with it...  I work at a waste water plant for my city now..   1/2 the money,  zero stress...   Perfect.....  

Still working on the side I hope?  Folks will miss your work ethic ! 

• Like 2