Service Intervals

I have a 1987 Superliner with a E9 400. Its a dump truck. Somedays I idle a lot and I'm always in the dust. I have asked around and have heard between 4000 to 12000 miles in between filter and oil changes.  I'm going to put an hour meter on the truck and service off of that.  How many hours should I go between service? Thanks 

I believe, for your 'service' 150 hours is the interval.  with grease every 75 hours.  300 hrs for oil and 150 for grease may even be closer to what you need for your ' service application'  I will go to my book's and see if I can send a picture... jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
  • Like 1

Ok.  I have this info.. It pertains to E-tech ASET's however. I feel like this is a good chart to use..  Take note of the duty service at the top of the pages.  I hope this help's ,  Jojo

KIMG0926.JPG

KIMG0930.JPG

KIMG0931.JPG

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChesterChop said:

I have a 1987 Superliner with a E9 400. Its a dump truck. Somedays I idle a lot and I'm always in the dust. I have asked around and have heard between 4000 to 12000 miles in between filter and oil changes.  I'm going to put an hour meter on the truck and service off of that.  How many hours should I go between service? Thanks 

Specially in dust! if you have an under the hood air cleaner you need to monitor this every service as well the turbo moves alot of air during a day these clog up quickly! If you got dual outside cleaners its not as bad! 300 hrs is my go to on a dump!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

I can't really add anything here. But looking through my Lub and maintenance book there is a note at the bottom of one of the pages that I  think should apply to your E9. 

Its about an air filter element for the compressor .  My book is from 1986. 

IMG_7517.jpeg.ec6ad07c811e2723e1d974f0123af239.jpeg

IMG_7518.jpeg.6999498ece1e0ed1c51c8c685c24bf12.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Keith 

I looked through that maintenance manual , it had no info on it other than what I posted. So I went to an even older maintenance manual. 

I was able to find this . 

Its interesting to me because I have only seen a couple V8 Macks in my life so I had no idea they had that clip on air filter. My International S series has the same one . I actually didn't know it was supposed to be changed at every oil change . 

IMG_0468.jpg.7cb25fa60e3bc516d7fb4a719c81c1e5.jpg

IMG_7523.jpeg.0bb282e4146a3cf9ef6992f073cade48.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keith 

10 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

if you dont have a small shitty filter clipped to the compressor, it should be getting its air from the intake manifold via a copper pipe.. I hope Im right,  the E-6 gets it off the manifold around the back of the engine to the compressor...  dammit... i was thinkin I knew the answer... jojo

i thought the small clip on filter was eliminated yrs ago. almost same filter element as some shop air compressors. one less step in manufacturing . 

1 hour ago, 85snowdog said:

I looked through that maintenance manual , it had no info on it other than what I posted. So I went to an even older maintenance manual. 

I was able to find this . 

Its interesting to me because I have only seen a couple V8 Macks in my life so I had no idea they had that clip on air filter. My International S series has the same one . I actually didn't know it was supposed to be changed at every oil change . 

IMG_0468.jpg.7cb25fa60e3bc516d7fb4a719c81c1e5.jpg

IMG_7523.jpeg.0bb282e4146a3cf9ef6992f073cade48.jpeg

Not to many people look! I had been doing comercial  inspections for the last 10 years If I spot these on older vehicles I usually ask the customer to let me at least  inspect them! slot of older units use these!

• Like 1

I found it on there.  I don't imagine it's been changed for quite a while.  I'll see if I can get one from mack.  Mine is pretty grimy on the outside and I'll have to clean it up . Judging from the picture in the manual I'm guessing you pry that band a little to get that cover off?

• Like 1

This is the filter my international takes. I never thought, but I could measure its width, depth for you . If its the same size you could cross the Kralinator number over to Napa .

Thanks for telling us the filter was there. I was really curious myself. 

IMG_7525.jpeg.56cbc5ad26330c73f2673ab8fc8d5dfb.jpeg

Keith 

I think thickness would be the difference. I found that out on a 2 stroke Detroit last year,  still an easy filter to get by using demensions if the part number is gone, jojo

• Like 1