2007 Mack CV713 (370Ami)

Firefox898

Question

New to the forum and wanted some advice…

looking to replace an 86 Rd straight truck that carries  58k lbs and found an 07 CV713 with the 370ami…

are these reliable motors?(this one has 200k miles, 9500 hours) I’ve read some people having varying issues over the years…egr..?

probably only drive about 5-6k miles a year.

any advice appreciated 

25 answers to this question

The Granite truck is a good one, It replaced the RD.  The ASET I is way better thatn the 'C' series..  Do you know how to tell the difference by looking at the engine?  Good luck, jojo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Firefox898 said:

I’ll have to ask him to send me pics of the motor..but it looks pretty clean, my main fear/ptsd is frame rust..

There’s no rust in that frame,you can tell by the picture of the end of the frame,perfectly clean,that whole truck looks immaculate..

3 hours ago, MACKS said:

There’s no rust in that frame,you can tell by the picture of the end of the frame,perfectly clean,that whole truck looks immaculate..

The liner is a little spread in the one picture, but nothing serious. That truck does look pretty clean and looks to have been used right and taken care of. Even with the shortcomings of an AMI ??  for the miles you're talking about putting on it and the general condition from the pictures ?  Looks like it should definitely be on the short list of trucks to replace the older one 

16 minutes ago, Mark T said:

The liner is a little spread in the one picture, but nothing serious. That truck does look pretty clean and looks to have been used right and taken care of. Even with the shortcomings of an AMI ??  for the miles you're talking about putting on it and the general condition from the pictures ?  Looks like it should definitely be on the short list of trucks to replace the older one 

i was thinking along the same lines as you...im just unsure/uneducated enough on whether the AMI is as bad as some of the things people say about it...

Im almost positive i will notice a difference in power compared to what i am driving now(especially going up hills fully loaded which is miserable)

AMIs aren't exactly good runners (lol)  and they can be a problem as they get older. This one seems (to me at least) to be relatively low miles/hours and the truck looks clean and cared for. If you use it like your post suggests , I'd think you'll find worse trucks to pick. By 58,000 I'm assuming you mean gross weight ?   There's lots of life left in that truck in the pictures from what I can see. Those engines were internal EGR and in my opinion require an oil change way more often than the book that comes with one said. They have a fickle overhead, but as long as it's been maintained (updates and in adjustment) they have a fairly long serviceable life. Lots of guys complained about them cause they didn't set any records for throttle response. Again, in your situation ?  maybe it's more about if the truck is what you need for the job and if the crane is in good working order .

2 hours ago, Mark T said:

AMIs aren't exactly good runners (lol)  and they can be a problem as they get older. This one seems (to me at least) to be relatively low miles/hours and the truck looks clean and cared for. If you use it like your post suggests , I'd think you'll find worse trucks to pick. By 58,000 I'm assuming you mean gross weight ?   There's lots of life left in that truck in the pictures from what I can see. Those engines were internal EGR and in my opinion require an oil change way more often than the book that comes with one said. They have a fickle overhead, but as long as it's been maintained (updates and in adjustment) they have a fairly long serviceable life. Lots of guys complained about them cause they didn't set any records for throttle response. Again, in your situation ?  maybe it's more about if the truck is what you need for the job and if the crane is in good working order .

Yes 58000 fully loaded..roughly carrying 19000 in weight regularly..

I fully intend to do what is necessary in terms of maintenance to keep it running for as long as possible…and I have to assume it’ll be a different driving experience than what I’m in now..appreciate the info!

Mark T has some good points,  oil life and valve adjustment..  I am very particular about the valve adjustment...  I have actually upset a couple guys about it, but..... I don't care...  I dont break lifters....  jojo :) 

Edited by Joey Mack
Poor spelling

24 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Mark T has some good points,  oil life and valve adjustment..  I am very particular about the valve adjustment...  I have actually upset a couple guys about it, but..... I don't care...  I dont break lifters....  jojo :) 

I upset a couple guys about it too 🤪   but the overhead in one of those can turn into a disaster pretty quick 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mark T said:

Somebody did a pretty nice job cleaning that up and painting the frame. Personally, I see a few things that tell me it wasn't a basket case before the detail job.  That's a pretty nice used truck I'd say.

That part of the frame looks to be factory with the stickers. Centrimax still has a Mack sticker on it. Def don’t see trucks like that here in PA. Only when they are new and it doesn’t last long…

44 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

That part of the frame looks to be factory with the stickers. Centrimax still has a Mack sticker on it. Def don’t see trucks like that here in PA. Only when they are new and it doesn’t last long…

They're taped off before painting.  Somebody went way out to do a nice job on it. It's none the less a really clean used truck .  It does certainly seem to be in pretty good shape, let alone for the age of it. Nice Granite.