Vin question

So as some of you know I recently acquired a 1969 R600 and I noticed something that I thought was weird but I haven’t said anything about to anyone.  We haven’t got around to getting the title and everything switched over to my name yet, which isn’t a big deal or anything.  But I was in the truck looking at some stuff and looking for info and the old registration was sitting there so I picked it up and noticed that instead of the vin number it had the engine model # in its place.  I found several other pieces of paper with the same thing including the original purchase paperwork.  Was that a common thing they did back then or did someone screw up big time at the dealership back in 1969.

10D8330E-5C33-403E-8865-BC733A4034C9.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

any chance the full vin is stamped in the right frame rail in front of the cab by the steer tire?  

Is it located inside the frame or on the top edge?  Because I looked along the top of the frame and didn’t see it.  It’s possible that it is covered with paint.

It's all good..  There are some really smart people here.. I feel like Vlad from Russia will know the answers, and Glenn,  Hell there's too many to list..  theres a bunch from Canada too... you'll see.... jojo

17 digit vins started in 1980. Before that it was model and engine numbers followed by the sequential number the truck was built starting at 1000 ? I think ? 

Theres threads on vin numbers. I will try to find one and post. 

Your vin should be where Jojo said. Right frame rail behind steer tire. Should also have a plate inside the drivers door. 

• Like 1

Keith 

9 minutes ago, 85snowdog said:

17 digit vins started in 1980. Before that it was model and engine numbers followed by the sequential number the truck was built starting at 1000 ? I think ? 

Theres threads on vin numbers. I will try to find one and post. 

Your vin should be where Jojo said. Right frame rail behind steer tire. Should also have a plate inside the drivers door. 

I looked on the frame but it probably wasn’t sufficient enough so I’ll have to check again. As for the door tag this is what it has on it.  

450DB9B6-ED7C-4A44-B33F-CAB5198E347A.jpeg

Thats perfect !

your registration and paperwork should say  R611T4533.  Thats all.  

R611 I think ?  250 hp mack engine.  Hopefully someone corrects if I'm wrong.

T is for tractor designation 

and your truck was the 3533 r611 built .  

Hopefully someone smarter than me can fine tune the numbers , lol 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Keith 

All is Keith said. 17 digit international standard VIN became about 1980 (I think different countries put it in service at different times and some haven't done that at all). All US made Macks have VIN starting from 1M... since 1 means US and M means... yes, it means Mack nothing else. Canada stamped 2M... Pre-1980 chassis numbers represened model and serial number starting from 1001 for each model.

The most trucks of the era had a chassis number stamped into the frame rail. Different models used different locations. R and RD had marking at the right rail behind the wheel. I saw two locations, further to the front as on the picture and further back to the rear spring hanger. Some trucks don't have the stamping though. I kept my attention to the matter and figured it could take place when a complete rail swap was done. On the other hand I saw relatively many Macks with no stamping so seemed like the factory was "forgetting" to mark chassis from time to time. Doubtful suggestion but I don't have anything better. in fact I have no idea on how many trucks on avarage were treated for a set of new OEM rails to be swapped during the lifetime.

Vlad

IMG_20210619_165031_resize.jpg

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Well that’s definitely some good info guys so thank you all for your contributions.  When I get some time I’ll check it out a little closer and see if I can find a number stamped in the frame.  If it’s not there I guess I won’t worry to much about it.

2 hours ago, Robo987 said:

Well that’s definitely some good info guys so thank you all for your contributions.  When I get some time I’ll check it out a little closer and see if I can find a number stamped in the frame.  If it’s not there I guess I won’t worry to much about it.

Its there (unless the truck had new frame rails put under it at some point). You just need to get a little wire wheel on a cordless drill and clean off the frame. My 1960 B81 and my 1967 R model have the model/serial number that matches the door tag stamped into the frame rail in the front passenger side where everyone is showing. My 1994 RD690 is in the same location but as Vlad said its an actual VIN number not the model/serial number like you will see

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 8:09 AM, 67RModel said:

Its there (unless the truck had new frame rails put under it at some point). You just need to get a little wire wheel on a cordless drill and clean off the frame. My 1960 B81 and my 1967 R model have the model/serial number that matches the door tag stamped into the frame rail in the front passenger side where everyone is showing. My 1994 RD690 is in the same location but as Vlad said its an actual VIN number not the model/serial number like you will see

Thanks.  When I get some time I’m gonna go check it out and report back.