1999 Mack 690s

Ricky Beals

Question

This truck is being advertised for sale on Facebook so I have no idea how to put the listing on here. Truck has decent dump bed, tri  axle with a e7300, Eaton 8ll transmission and Mack rears. Has 560,000 miles and he is asking 26,500.00. I’m thinking 24,000.00 cash if truck checks out. Does this seem like a fair price for this truck? Try and upload photos tomorrow where service is better

Edited by Ricky Beals

check the filter in the overboard breather for clogging and milk..  you are on a tough journey, because truc prices are out of sight, and now they are pulling out old 'junk' to sell for good junk prices... sorry bud.... jojo

I don’t mind paying for a good truck, problem is these trucks are older and the good ones get bought by friends or folks in their circle. All three trucks I have looked at have been for sale by resellers. I need to try and find trucks for sale by individuals.  Thanks for all the help. I’m a little more educated today than I was yesterday.

Edited by Ricky Beals

Yea its kind of a shame a lot of independent dealers are so deceptive to try and make their equipment seem worth their asking price. I don't know how it is in Arkansas but up here in Pennsylvania there is mountain of good trucks for what you are doing for sale on Facebook. Old Macks everywhere. Some better than others but you can find something suitable for what your needs would be anywhere from $15-$25,000. Have you looked at brands other than Mack to maybe increase the amount of suitable candidates within a close distance?

8 hours ago, Ricky Beals said:

I don’t mind paying for a good truck, problem is these trucks are older and the good ones get bought by friends or folks in their circle. All three trucks I have looked at have been for sale by resellers. I need to try and find trucks for sale by individuals.  Thanks for all the help. I’m a little more educated today than I was yesterday.

Kenworth dealer near me deals in used trucks too. They'll take a whole lot of older trade ins from large construction companies/fleets in the area. Tons of the trucks are in horrible shape but there are a few gems.  We bought one about 3-4 years ago. Plow truck, had the hydraulics and everything still.  Brand new double frame, probably 5 years old or newer.  Engine fires up like it came off the assembly line yesterday.  It's a 1988.  Even the hood looks new.  Probably a million or more miles on the truck, but there's no way to know.  There are good trucks out there, you just need to go look at a dealer with a whole lot of trucks. Keep an open mind!

I mean this truck has been advertised for quite some time and has a very recent inspection:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/303868681768819/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post

not as new as what you have been looking at but certainly a lot of good life left in her. Especially since you say you mostly are going to use it on your property and local deliveries. Could probably pick it up for a good bit less if you flashed a bunch of greenbacks at the owner.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Kenworth dealer near me deals in used trucks too. They'll take a whole lot of older trade ins from large construction companies/fleets in the area. Tons of the trucks are in horrible shape but there are a few gems.  We bought one about 3-4 years ago. Plow truck, had the hydraulics and everything still.  Brand new double frame, probably 5 years old or newer.  Engine fires up like it came off the assembly line yesterday.  It's a 1988.  Even the hood looks new.  Probably a million or more miles on the truck, but there's no way to know.  There are good trucks out there, you just need to go look at a dealer with a whole lot of trucks. Keep an open mind!

This. I found a truck at an independent used truck dealer that deals mostly in late model off lease trucks and trucks from rental fleets I assume. The truck I found was barley advertised and stuck in their back lot where their old inventory goes to die before being exported. It just didn’t fit what their typical clientele purchased. I asked them to send me a bunch of pictures of it and came to realize it was a gem. Made the trip down there to look it over and realized it was a extremely nice gem. I was able to decipher the old DOT number and looked it up. It was an one truck fleet excavation owner operator. I contacted him and he told me he bought the truck new in 1994 and drove and maintained it himself. The 335k miles are indeed accurate and that his tax man told him he needed to spend money at the end of 2019 so the old Mack got traded in. It’s in amazing condition for its age and I was able to get it for a good price because the dealer I bought it from didn’t think they could move it to they people they typically sell to. They are out there you just have to look long and hard to find them.

Thanks guys for the comments. 67Rmodel I appreciate the link but that’s a tad bit older than I would like and a long way from Arkansas. JoeH I’m going drive over in a couple of weeks to Baskins, they are about 2.5 hours away and look like they have a lot of trucks. 

I have looked at a few International trucks which are what we seem to have around here for sale. I don’t know a lot about big trucks in general. What little info I have on trucks are Macks. If the right truck came along yes I would buy but really want a Mack

Here is a nice truck at Baskins that I would be interested in. 

https://www.baskintrucksales.com/Inventory/?/listing/for-sale/205883583/1997-mack-rd688-dump-trucks-heavy-duty-trucks?dscompanyid=7164&settingscrmid=362413&dlr=1

Here is a Granite they have and I know nothing about Granits but doesn't seem like a bad buy. 

https://www.baskintrucksales.com/Inventory/?/listing/for-sale/210642041/2005-mack-granite-cv713-dump-trucks-heavy-duty-trucks?dscompanyid=7164&settingscrmid=362413&dlr=1

Edited by Ricky Beals
add

I test drove a granite once. Nicest Mack I ever drove, hopped in and it felt like I'd been driving that truck for 10 years. Everything was where it was supposed to be and forward visibility was good.  Cab is huge, but I'm used to R models.  

The granite you listed there is a state truck with plow setup. Looks like it had the passenger side wing plow as well. If that were a northern truck it'd be junk from salt with a bloated 40k price tag. Look it over, but I wouldn't waste much time on it.

Edited by JoeH
  • Like 1

Granites are nice but they force you into the ASET AI series engines, which are better than the AC engines, but require a few modifications to liven them up. ETECH camshaft and exhaust manifold, turbo (I think) and exhaust pipe that doesnt size down right off the turbo.  The AI engine eats some of its own exhaust through back pressure created by the above restriction points.  The camshaft has a bump on the exhaust lobe to tap the exhaust valves open a little during intake stroke. Will run ok with all the garbage on there but supposedly they wake up when you update those parts.

4 minutes ago, Ricky Beals said:

I don’t want to be banned from site but could someone educate me in what model International I should be on the lookout for? Seems like most have cat engines. Wouldn’t hurt me to gain a little more knowledge in this area.

The international equivalent to Mack RDs and DMs are Paystars. Very heavy duty trucks with either Cummins or cat power. Most have Hendrickson walking beam rear suspension which is just about equal in articulation and durability compared to Mack camelback. All the same rules apply to inspecting the truck as you would a Mack there’s just a different emblem on the hood and a different color paint on the engine.

• Like 1

For what it's worth to you ???? I don't know if I'd be so quick to pass on that '85 for what you're planning on spending and using it for. Barring a rotted frame or something, that truck doesn't look abused. (almost looks like an old Wyoming Sand & Stone  truck)

• Like 1

Ok I just looked at this 1995 RD 688 thats 5 miles from my house. The owner wasn’t there and Batteries were down so I wasn’t going jump it without him being there. It’s rough but can be bought for 11,000.00. I called the people that owned it (name was on side and they said it spent it’s whole life in a shell pit. It has lever controls on dump bed. Current owner says it runs and is mechanical sound. I’m going upload a lot of photos. Truck leaks at oil pan, has a leak behind filters on drivers side. 

C39B704B-038F-4ADE-9F14-41BB45CCDEE5.jpeg

E4BE53B4-11E5-4EC0-91B3-B40C4BCB9378.jpeg

Edited by Ricky Beals

25 minutes ago, Mark T said:

For what it's worth to you ???? I don't know if I'd be so quick to pass on that '85 for what you're planning on spending and using it for. Barring a rotted frame or something, that truck doesn't look abused. (almost looks like an old Wyoming Sand & Stone  truck)

That’s a long way from Arkansas and I don’t know how I would like the two lever transmission