Cylinder head varieties

VTS

Question

We have a 91 RD with an EM7-300.  The engine was overheated and it ruined both heads, so were looking for used replacements. Are the heads on an E Tech setup the same as earlier EM7s?  There are more options online for later model engines, we just dont know what is compatible. Thanks!

9 answers to this question

11 hours ago, Mackpro said:

Thank you Mackpro.  The water is a little muddy on this project. It is a 1991 block, but it has newer style sleeves that take the flat fire rings, which leads us to believe it has been rebuilt. We bought a pair of heads for the same engine from a yard , but 1 of them failed a visual inspection (crack between valves), so we're trying to figure out compatibility options for the 1 we need

Have you checked the deck to see if its flat?  I built a '90 E-7 2 years ago, and bought heads from PAI.. no problems with the engine. be carefull with the exhaust manifold, there are none available.  Jojo

9 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Have you checked the deck to see if its flat?  I built a '90 E-7 2 years ago, and bought heads from PAI.. no problems with the engine. be carefull with the exhaust manifold, there are none available.  Jojo

The deck is in good shape. Got lucky i suppose. Id love to buy reman heads, but ive been given a tight budget for this project.

I understand the budget....  I'm afraid you may have to come off the hip for heads..  I wish I had more knowledge, on this. I have always been able to find heads based on application. I can only say that PAI is the best bet, because there is a good chance that 'take off' heads need work or are cracked. between the valve seats..  I hope someone posts a better post than mine.  jojo

On 2/2/2022 at 3:33 PM, VTS said:

We have a 91 RD with an EM7-300.  The engine was overheated and it ruined both heads, so were looking for used replacements. Are the heads on an E Tech setup the same as earlier EM7s?  There are more options online for later model engines, we just dont know what is compatible. Thanks!

Call your dealer and get the part number from the heads for your truck.  Use VIN from other years/models to check compatibility.  Chances are your head # supersedes to another number, so make note of that number to see what else might have it.  VIN #'s can be had easily from online auction/sales sites.

On 2/4/2022 at 7:24 PM, JoeH said:

Call your dealer and get the part number from the heads for your truck.  Use VIN from other years/models to check compatibility.  Chances are your head # supersedes to another number, so make note of that number to see what else might have it.  VIN #'s can be had easily from online auction/sales sites.

So I did exactly that and found quite a few that are compatible, although I think the parts guy was a little irritated with me.  Armed with alot more knowledge, Ive spent 12 hrs on the computer in the last 5 days looking for decent take-offs. The owner of the truck called me today to say "Piss on it, buy some reman ones".   

• Like 1