2000 e7 460 weak jake brake

Mndirtguy

I recently had a set of Jake's installed on my 2000 e7 460 (didn't have them before) and the Jake's seem weak and also seems not to pull quite as good as before Jake's were installed. Not a huge power difference but seems to be a little. Could something have not gotten set right that these issues are here? Jake's had rebuild kit 4559-31180 installed before putting on my truck. 

Do you know if the Armolly reset screw kit p/n 215SB321 was installed? if so, the engine brake lash is .021". and like Glenn said, check the valve adjustment again..  .016" int.   .024" exh..   jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
More content needed
  • Like 1

before I forget..  the bridges need to be set to .010" on each end using 2 feeler gauges.  the drag needs to be equal for proper valve opening  timing as well as keeping a side load off of the bridge pins..  jojo

• Like 1

I wonder if anyone near him has the jig to drill the Jake head, and heck, the knowledge to do it? I dont have access to search out the service bulliten from 20 years ago...  :) jojo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joey Mack said:

I wonder if anyone near him has the jig to drill the Jake head, and heck, the knowledge to do it? I dont have access to search out the service bulliten from 20 years ago...  :) jojo

I remember hearing about the bulletin years ago and have since ran a 2000 460 and it worked extremely well.  If the engine is a 460 I would think it'd have to be an E-tech and don't know that a regular e7 Jake would even work on that engine.

the Jake on yours is a 690 series, E-7's had a 680 series, the top oil feed SB did help the performance, but it was still a lame E.B. compared to other engine makes. I remember test driving the trucks for weak Jake performance and having to fill out a report on oil pressure and engine speed, blah, blah, blah....  and then we would do a top oil feed conversion.. it was a very care filled job to drill the Jake head 'once' without busting through or missing the oil gallery..  anyway, maybe some one will post the bulliten, basically for entertainment purpose's  :)  jojo

• Like 1

What we do to check Engine Brake in a ruff way

<1> Get truck temp upto operating temp ( go for a drive )

<2> Use the EB to get the oil circulatin

<3> Put cog box in gear U normally start off in (for us 5th)

<4> Drive flat out in th@ take off gear (5th) upto the gov speed 2000rpm

<5> back off to bring on engine brake n see how much it pulls U up

the higher the gear the less retardation or ruffly much the same as pulling power to increase revs

cya