Hello everyone

Robo987

20 hours ago, mowerman said:

Hadda deal deal picked out Home Depot 220 volt ceiling heater was going to have electrician wire it in wife was kicking and screaming so hard about power bills after retirement I squashed the idea thanks for your input…I’m thinking some sorry of plug in floor heater.. Bob 

Electric will be expensive for sure.  You could do a propane forced air heater to knock the edge off.

On 1/22/2022 at 9:33 AM, mowerman said:

lol she bellyaching about propane cost,,,,,yes i saw that coming....lol.bob

I hear ya lol.  My wife does the same thing.  Her input is taken into consideration but mostly ignored on subjects such as this.  There’s good in everything I do and spend money on.  The bright side is im not blowing it at the bar or something like that.  Also im not retired either so there’s that’s too. Lol

• Like 1

i had a 30x50 butler metal insulated with 14 ft inside height. i ended up with a contractors HD (100 k BTU ?) heater. had two 100lb bottles. on  all day cold outside day i could work in tee shirt. it sure sucked down a 100lb bottle fast, but i could move it close to the project at hand and with the ceiling fan moving the air it was great. being around brake clean and other odorsi guess i never was bothered by "the smell"as others said. took all the wifes unused candles , chopped them and put the entire lot in a metal can on top of the heater. 1- made use of the candles, 2 smelled "pretty" when a visitor showed up!!LOL. no electric to pay $$ for. self contained unit

• Like 1

i tried the HD salamander type ; kerosene etc; besides the louder noise it would be 100 degrees in front of it and cold rest of the shop. also those needed electrical power , everyone said put in a wood stove ; not loosing all the floor space or piling wood in the shop. wood stove was in the house.

• Like 1

another positive with the 100 lb bottles;1 - i owned them no rental business,2- summer time i  would hook one to the propane torch set up instead of using acy($$$). for basic heating or cutting,  no ceiling furnace ,piping , plumbing . it worked for me  but everyone has a different situation. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mowerman said:

Ok thanks for that…. a buddy of mine has a body shop in Tennessee 40/60 he made a wood burning stove out of a huge oil heater tank he says the heat is amazing with it running… Bob

a friend has a 500 gallon tank in his truck shop fired by waste oil, and chopped up tires. 

it is kinda smelly outside when burning rubber, but the high temp of the waste oil tends to get rid of the smell fast. 

80X120 building with 25 foot ceilings. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

On 1/17/2022 at 11:37 AM, mowerman said:

Hadda deal deal picked out Home Depot 220 volt ceiling heater was going to have electrician wire it in wife was kicking and screaming so hard about power bills after retirement I squashed the idea thanks for your input…I’m thinking some sorry of plug in floor heater.. Bob 

Maybe you could find a used oil fired hot air unit,run one of those plastic tubes down the center of the shop for duck work,instant heat and way more efficient than a portable floor heater..

• Like 2

Thanks for all your input Fellas lotsa good ideas… at least I’ve got a couple ideas now yes I would rather not go floor heaters  I suppose I could rob my DM savings and go ahead and buy the unit and not even mention it to inspecter clusoe until it’s all installed lol Bob 

Edited by mowerman
Misspelled
  • Like 1
  • Like 1