Blink codes

Bluebulldog

This thing needed to stay in a warm climate I guess.  Everything works great till it gets to 30 degrees then it’s all over just like clock work!   2000 Ch613 having 1-1 an 2-3 codes every morning till it gets warm.  1-1 is oil pressure sending unit I guess haven’t changed it yet but it’s ordered.  2-3 is manifold temp changed it many times with no avail so just live with that.  But it will shut down few times before it gets warm enough to shut off the light.  Any ideas?

1 hour ago, Onyx610 said:

See what happens once the oil pressure sending unit is changed. With those two codes that would be the one to shut it down. Something must change with heat to make it happy. 

yup we just did one of these! get the sensor! make sure your inlet boot is sealing on the hood just something to try for the other code

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fjh said:

yup we just did one of these! get the sensor! make sure your inlet boot is sealing on the hood just something to try for the other code

Doesn’t Mack suggest checking this by applying grease to the boot and closing the hood, then lift it up and check the print?  

You never said it was as soon as you turned the key on, if it was when it was running and the boot was leaking it would pry be because of the cold outside air and warm engine air mixing and throwing the sensor all over the map. That’s my guess anyway. fjh has a good reason for suggesting that, he really knows his stuff. Anyway sounds like a bad sensor to me. I’ll check the book tomorrow morning for a ohm test or something.  

Finally got the right oil pressure sensor.  It’s 30degrees  the malfunction light is on when the key is turned on stays on about 1 min with the engine running then goes out. Blink code still says 1-1 while it’s on.   Guess we’ll see when it gets cold.  As for the 2-3 the boot on the filter had a loose clamp and could just slide away from the hood haven’t seen that code sense 🤷.  Suppose to get cold here later this week if I get it back out of the shop from fixing a air leak we’ll see what happens.  

Finally got the right oil pressure sensor.  It’s 30degrees  the malfunction light is on when the key is turned on stays on about 1 min with the engine running then goes out. Blink code still says 1-1 while it’s on.   Guess we’ll see when it gets cold.  As for the 2-3 the boot on the filter had a loose clamp and could just slide away from the hood haven’t seen that code sense 🤷.  Suppose to get cold here later this week if I get it back out of the shop from fixing a air leak we’ll see what happens.  

Odd thing is it has that malfunction light on with those codes will set an run normally you leave with it an out of the blue it will kick the shut down light on and shut it off.   May have to stop and restart it may come back 🤷.  

what does that ambient temp sensor have to do with anything?

its the J1 connector on the engine computer.. the printing on the wires is Identification.  ie: EJ1-26-0.5 means ' plug J1, wire #26, 0.5 is the wire size..  this is likely the ground circuit.. notice other wires have different wire #'s. they too are associated with the pin location in the plug.  very hard to see the numbers on the plug. I need a magnifying glass, now that I'm older... keep in mind when you read a schematic, generally , the top is power in and the bottom of the diagram is the negatives.. this particular diagram is a bit different,  jojo

Just in case you chase wires in the cab.  They will say VJ1-2or3, then wire # then a letter, (a,b,c) for example.. those represent intersections in the wires, and then the wire size will be the last #.. The V stands for V.E.C.U.   jojo

Interesting, thanks Joey. Possible VECU? Clearly do a bunch of tests before jumping to that. I’d say make sure the connector is all the way in and also the pins look good. Then check voltages at the pins and after the sensor. 

I think you can do it, there’s only one way to learn and it doesn’t hurt to try! If you decide to tackle it there are some really good guys on here to help you. I can also look in the book tomorrow for tests and post pictures of it for you. 

have you removed the J1 plug and inspect the pins? #26 specifically..do you have a helper who can watch the light, while you gently move the J1 plug while running ,without unplugging it?