damper indicator on mack e6

Mel_97

doesnt the 4-valve dampener have 'TC' seperate from 1-6? therefore creating (4) timing marks, not including the degree scale.. ? I would stick with the correct dampener. are you setting the injection pump, or running the valves, or both? there should be 2 pointers, one for the valves and the other for the inj.pump...  Not sure if i'm helping here, but there will be more info coming from some E-6 veterans,,, jojo

• Like 2

The best i can remember was the two valve with out a dynatard cam had timing marks on the flywheel and when the dyntard cam came out is when the two pointer was put on the front cover with marks on the damperner.      the two pointer will have a TC to be in the pump setting scale.The TCis not to be used for valve set.The E7 dampener does not have timing marks because they are on the flywheel.It is also a different bolt pattern than the E6 dampener.

Edited by theakerstwo

glenn akers

I understand, the Kung flu kicked my butt in March and it definately got in the way of my thinking, speech, and concentration.. I also forgot that I ran valves on an E-7, (1990) 2 weeks ago and i used timing marks on the dampener... it also had both timing pointers.  anyway, as long as our guy doesnt try to re-write the book, he should be fine..  jojo

23 hours ago, theakerstwo said:

The bad thing for me is I cant remember very much any more.I got me some of that covid 19 about eight weeks ago and it was bad.My memory is bad after that.I am not complaining necause it could have been bader that it was.

Glenn, we wish you speedy and full recovery. That deciese is a nothing to fool with thing. Brain cells have ability to recover and regenerate. But they do it when you train them. So keep up and the things will be better.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

E7 has a different crank shaft than E6 so the dampener may be different indeed. If so my interest quits at this point since I was going to swap my E6 dampener with a used E7 part. Here locally plenty of Renault Magnum engines are up for sale and many parted out. There were mechanical (?) 390hp and 430hp units along with 440 and 470 E-tech's. My actual dampener has a very small oily spot on its surface. Nearly 25 mm/1 inch long and 4 times narrower. Idk if that's crytical for a hobby truck or not but would like to eliminate the risk since I'm going to sandblast and paint it. Would be a shame to invest labour in a weak part.

11 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

so the oil is leaking from the dampener?  It's junk...   Sorry Vlad....   jojo

It doesn't leak. But I can see fat spot on its surface near the seam. No presence of any real fluid. Just a small darker area on an overall dry surface. Makes me scratching my head. The engine ran before I took it apart and didn't show any excessive vibration. But the milage was unkown and definitely huge.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vladislav said:

It doesn't leak. But I can see fat spot on its surface near the seam. No presence of any real fluid. Just a small darker area on an overall dry surface. Makes me scratching my head. The engine ran before I took it apart and didn't show any excessive vibration. But the milage was unkown and definitely huge.

Bro any kind of damage on a damper you risk the chance of a broken crank at some point! If itis a play truck not a big deal ! If its a daily worker not worth the risk! Change it out!

• Like 2

Thanks for the tip. The truck is for play with and maximum expected milage is something like 3-4K km a year if I make a jorney with. Another point is about the only possible option on purchasing a new dampener overhere is PAI. I will check out the cost for more thoughts. Kept hopes to rich up with one off a Renault but now it seems like no way.

Well Vlad,,, I tried for a half hour to find an E-6 balancer. there is one listed on E-Bay, here in the states, but it looked rough. I was wondering if you took it to a tire shop and have them chuck it up in a tire spin balancer and run it a few times to see if it's out of balance?  Just a thought... jojo

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Well Vlad,,, I tried for a half hour to find an E-6 balancer. there is one listed on E-Bay, here in the states, but it looked rough. I was wondering if you took it to a tire shop and have them chuck it up in a tire spin balancer and run it a few times to see if it's out of balance?  Just a thought... jojo

Kind of an outside  of the box thought Joe but a good one the tire balancers of today are quite accurate !If The thing will chuck up to it! 

Edited by fjh

Thanks, the hubs are tapered to fit wheels that fit small cars, isnt the hole in the balancer about 2 1/2"  ? similar to a hub on the front of a 2WD pick-up for example..   anyway, we may find out soon..  :) jojo

• Like 1

the pointer is in a different direction, I expect the orientation of the timing marks to be different.  I'm sorry I do not have a diffinative answer. this is not something I have done, i've only ever used the correct pointer for the engine.... Jojo

21 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Wow! Thanks. It took me nearly 20 minutes yesterday evening to find a balanser. It was one from PAI though. I don't mean I found it locally, still in the States. It could be delivered to my place for reasonable cost but long in time. The item cost is expected to be US $450-500. I can afford it but there's plenty of other things I may use that worth for.

Interesting that PAI states the same balanser should be used on both 2V and 4V E6's along with many other engines. The pics are from some NZ parts list which conteins Mack numbers but its basic source is a PAI parts list I belive.

Dampener list E6.3.jpg

5 hours ago, fjh said:

Kind of an outside  of the box thought Joe but a good one the tire balancers of today are quite accurate !If The thing will chuck up to it! 

That's one really interesting idea with just checking out of balance. To me it seems a wheel balancer is not even needed for as long as a modern car's wheel requires dynamic balansing (it's colled that way here at least). A wheel's width is sufficient so you put weights at both sides of it. But if you want to balance a bycicle's wheel all you need is its axle and some common weights. I think something like that would be enough to just check the dampener. So I'm going to ask a lathe man to fabricate a couple of small "pancakes" to hold the dampener in between with a ball bearing in the middle. Adding any adhesive or magnetic weights to the dampener's outer diameter would tell how far it's off balance.

On 11/12/2021 at 5:42 PM, Mel_97 said:

Why the damper marks(tc, 1-6....) indicator on e6 4 valve is not same on e6 2 valves? is that relevant? Can i use the 4valve indicator damper on 2 valve damper?

My guess is 4V engine utilizes different crank position to set the valves. That's why that double pointer was designed. 2V is a straight simple engine basically END673 and I see no reason you can't set the valve gaps when the crank is at TC.

• Like 1