Intermittent Electrical Problem

1996 RD all mechanical. Having problem with no tail lights when headlights are on. All brake lights and turn signals working. Periodically I will lose power to tach, fuel gauge, wipers, blower motor etc while driving.  These things will stop working and then turn back on. Also sometimes turn signals work but the beeping noise doesn’t come on. I turned my headlights on this morning and the tail lights came on. I swapped relays and they quit working. I put original relay back in and they will not turn on. Any ideas? Does the key switch have anything to do with this ? sometimes I have to turn it 2-3 times until the truck will turn over. 

I suggest you check the ground wires inside the dash, left side and right side by the fuse panel. also there is an accessory relay under the center section of the dash, you hear a loud click/bang when you turn the key on...  this relay is similar to a riding lawn mower starter relay, or may look like a Ford starter relay, check the connections and ground. if you pull the ashtray out, you may be able to see it with a light. good luck, please post youre findings,, jojo

• Like 1

when you park it, leave it running and wiggle the key before you shut it down to try and duplicate the issue with the switch. you said "fully mechanical" so you have a "pull stop" to shut it down?  jojo

are the batteries connected good? The truck you have has a pretty simple electrical system, so I feel like it will be a "loose" connection, rather than a 'paychecks' worth of parts thrown at it..  jojo

10 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

That's great!!   I'm only here a year and a half, but it was obvious from the start that guy's like us need to be here...  Jojo

or in a mental hospital............:tease:

• Haha 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..