Info needed- 3.0 Duramax

1958 F.W.D.

Does anyone here have a GMC or Chevy with the new 3.0 inline 6 Duramax? Looking for opinions. And please, no Ford/Chevy/Ram pissing contests. There is a level of Suck no matter WHAT brand you are loyal to. 

EDIT:
Did some research. Seems the oil pump is wet-belt driven. You have to drop the transmission to inspect/change the belt. Confirmed by multiple sources. Certainly a downer but not an ultimate deal breaker if the MPG is as good as they claim it to be. 

https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2020/08/chevy-3-0l-duramax-diesel-design-flaw/?fbclid=IwAR2GRj5oq46y95GnOJYR2BOs970Eb6glxPD5zkj500aBKD7AJTIm15bVzyA

Edited by 1958 F.W.D.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I have one and a good buddy has one too. VERY VERY good mileage. Mine has 30,000 miles on it and lifetime mileage is at an average of 24.6 mpg. Long trips you can expect 30+ mpg at 70+ mph. Mine does tons of local running around. Zero issues with the motor, just can't get my windshield washers to keep working. Drive one and you'll buy. They are so smooth and powerful. They really hit the nail on the head with these. Around my area they are quite popular because they are a low cost option. Same price as the 6.2

9 hours ago, Dirtymilkman said:

Drive one and you'll buy. 

I did drive it- my god it is an automotive work of art. Nicest driving and handling pickup ever. I am regretting test driving it because I cannot afford it. No way.  I had to settle for another Hemi Ram. Oh well. It is what it is. Here is the truck:

https://www.sandschryslerjeepdodge.net/inventory/display/used/2020/GMC/Sierra-All-New-1500/1GTV9CET4LZ191566#!2020 GMC Sierra All New 1500 Elevation_Satin Steel Metallic

On 9/4/2021 at 6:07 PM, storkmack said:

I’ve heard good things about those lil Chevy diesels.  I had a Ram EcoDiesel and was not impressed .   

We had a grand Cherokee with the ecodiesel. It wasn't as smooth of a setup. It was decent mileage but Chrysler needs to give up on trying to make things hi tech. Their whole electronics interface is a nightmare and the answer for anything that gives an issue was a 7 hour update that they loved to charge for. They need to stick to crank windows and raw power. 

Buddy has a 2021 3.0 Duramax.  I've got a 2020 Eco Diesel.  His truck is smooth as silk.  Loves it.  Mine, I've had zero issues with.  Getting mid to high twenties on average.  30+ on the highway.  The only complaint I have with 25,000 miles is throttle response from a stop.  Occasionally it will take 1-2 seconds from the time I step on the throttle before the truck really responds.  Not turbo lag... Another buddy thinks its a throttle sensor.  Done it 1/2 dozen times in 2 years.  Next trip to the dealer I'll have them look at it.

The Ram was priced much better than the Silverado which made my decision for me.

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

On 9/6/2021 at 6:34 AM, storkmack said:

Took my Eco in for something, anyways was getting 25mpg beating around local and after the visit was getting 20.   Of coarse they said they didn’t do anything.  Then the egr issues started.   Traded it for a 6.4 hemi. 

They recalled the egr coolers and replaced them free. 

They were trying to make me pay for it and I told them to cram.  Truck could sit there till they got sick of looking at it.  All of sudden truck was ready with no charge.  Even after that it was having issues and they claimed they couldn’t find anything. Traded it off about 2 months later for the 2500 with the  6.4 Hemi.   I’m on The second 6.4 now and love it.  

I have been researching the snot out of these 3.0 Duramax engines the last few nights. Seems that the 2020 version has a rear main seal issue. The 2021's have a crank-no start issue (will start second time) that may or may not be related to a software issue and/or a crank sensor issue. But overall most people are very pleased with them. 

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) I could not shake the money tree hard enough to be able to swing a deal to purchase the one sitting on the Dodge lot- and because of the fact that you can't negotiate with dealers right now due to low stock. Pickups are crazy insane money right now. The plus side to that is they paid me handsomely for my 2013 Ram 1500 Tradesman- the differential started making noises at 125,000 miles and since I am driving a bit more now for work, I wanted to upgrade to something more comfortable and drove away in a 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Laramie with all the bells and whistles and my is it comfortable!! "Small" approves and has nicknamed the new rig "The Pickle." I will miss the cap on the Silver Ghost but the new ride has one of those rigid folding covers. Not sure how crazy I am about it.

Oh- and Small is wearing Large's shirt because Large is now too large to fit into the large shirt that is small.  

Ram 1500 1.jpg

Ram 1500 2.jpg

Ram 1500 3.jpg

Edited by 1958 F.W.D.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

I have been researching the snot out of these 3.0 Duramax engines the last few nights. Seems that the 2020 version has a rear main seal issue. The 2021's have a crank-no start issue (will start second time) that may or may not be related to a software issue and/or a crank sensor issue. But overall most people are very pleased with them. 

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) I could not shake the money tree hard enough to be able to swing a deal to purchase the one sitting on the Dodge lot- and because of the fact that you can't negotiate with dealers right now due to low stock. Pickups are crazy insane money right now. The plus side to that is they paid me handsomely for my 2013 Ram 1500 Tradesman- the differential started making noises at 125,000 miles and since I am driving a bit more now for work, I wanted to upgrade to something more comfortable and drove away in a 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Laramie with all the bells and whistles and my is it comfortable!! "Small" approves and has nicknamed the new rig "The Pickle." I will miss the cap on the Silver Ghost but the new ride has one of those rigid folding covers. Not sure how crazy I am about it.

Oh- and Small is wearing Large's shirt because Large is now too large to fit into the large shirt that is small.  

Ram 1500 1.jpg

Ram 1500 2.jpg

Ram 1500 3.jpg

Very nice!..and thanks for clearing all that Small in Large because it's small for Large stuff up.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.