Start 'em young.

RowdyRebel

The tractor was store bought...although I added a drawbar so I could push him around with a shovel handle with a hook in the end. He was only 1, and still a little ways off of being able to pedal it on his own. Only other modification was a bracket clamped around the steering wheel so I could pull him around with the stick, too, until he got the hang of steering it himself.

And yeah, mirrors would be nice...but not very practical on a toy tractor. I'd probably spend more time fixing/replacing them than he would using 'em.

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Found it at one of the farm stores we have in town. Like I said, all I did was make a drawbar for it so I could push him around & eventually hook up trailers and such...after all, what good is a tractor if'n ya can't pull stuff with it?🤷‍♂️

https://tricamindustries.com/product/gck-31/

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

8 hours ago, mowerman said:

I expect you will be anxious to hook up an engine as soon as that boy gets old enough ha ha right??????????.bob

Actually just had that conversation with the wife (and she's on board). As soon as he gets the hang of riding a bicycle without the training wheels, we'll be looking for a little 50cc dirt bike for him.

Just wouldn't be practical to motorize the trike tractor. Would have to remove the pedals & replace with foot pegs. Also the rear axle would have to be replaced make it a powered axle...which means a differential or else the thing would only go straight (not much weight on the front wheel...especially when you're trying to pull something on gravel). The alternative would be to locate the motor on the front axle, because since the whole wheel assembly pivots around, it'd be impossible to have a shaft, chain, or belt driving it. That would cause issues with steering as we'd run into clearance issues when turning into the motor.

...although...mounting the motor on that trailer to push him around MIGHT work...still would need a new axle, but it could be a solid one...or do a pair of electric motors with a motorized pot to control wheel speeds independently dependent upon the angle of the trailer to the tractor so that the outside wheel would have more speed than the inside wheel...but that would take quite a bit of figuring to get it all correct.

Yeah, I don't see it happening.

haha,,,,after taking another look at the tractor,,,its a little too small for an engine,and drive line,,,,it would be way too much work,,,as well...few hundred for a used little motorized bike....im putting together a mini bike right now for my self all i had was a frame and a 5 hp briggs and stratton.for 20 years.decided.to do something with it just ordered all the other parts to put it all together...excited to see the finished results...was going to start on my DM,,,but im still waiting on parts from watts to get it started,,,barry told me thier having all kinds of problems,getting all thier parts...bob