Are these 2 issues related?

2003 cl 713

Picked the truck up from the shop….

The Speedometer just decided that it wanted to stop working, I’m assuming that’s a wire?hopefully something simple. 
the next issue is truck feels like it’s not building boost. Can have the pedal all the way to the floor and the truck just don’t pull. 

On 6/19/2021 at 8:44 PM, Joey Mack said:

what was done at the shop? why did you bring this to the shop....?

Shop was fixing the lighting and air leak with the tag axle issues. They slip says they repaired some wiring at the trans for reverse, so maybe they did something with the speed sensor? I have to call them this morning and see

That's it.  If they were doing anything by the reverse switch ?  I'd look for something like if it's unplugged (maybe someone did it by accident and didn't plug it back in ??)  or pinched or green stuff in the wires.  Seems odd it would just stop working at the same time.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mark T said:

That's it.  If they were doing anything by the reverse switch ?  I'd look for something like if it's unplugged (maybe someone did it by accident and didn't plug it back in ??)  or pinched or green stuff in the wires.  Seems odd it would just stop working at the same time.

They were putting on a backup bepper, guess the wiring was all sorts of messed up and they must have had to do something right the reverse switch. I checked and it’s plugged in, doesn’t look pinched or any oxidation from the sensor to the connector. I’m still waiting for the owner to call back. Hopefully they offer to take a look at it. I drove it there and the Speedo was working picked it up and it wasn’t. Not saying they are the reason but just the facts. I’m sure they will make it right 

2 hours ago, Mark T said:

The sensor's plug might be close to the reverse switch's plug.  Might be from touching wires there, hard to tell without being able to see it. Did you look at it ?  wiggle the plug ?  unplug it and plug it back in ? 

I was looking at it before the rain storm started, I wiggled it to make sure it was plugged in, when it dries out tomorrow I want to try unplug/plug and see if that does anything 

55 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

If its not damaged.. back it off.... then ...by hand.... screw it in til it touches,,,, then back it out 1 full turn. 360 degrees... jojo

I am assuming you mean to loosen the jam nut at the bottom, and screw the sensor itself down until it touches, back it out 1 full turn and then tighten the jam nut back down?

I’ll be able to screw the sensor with my hands or will I need a wrench? 

Edited by Dmurph2016
  • Like 1

That's what he's talking about. Check on top of the transmission and look for something disturbed from the reverse switch issue. The sensor's plug is likely up there. It's not impossible the speedo sensor is bad as well. On occasion, those plastic ones don't live through being touched ( like as in resetting it's depth ) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theakerstwo said:

what you need to do is get some one with a reader plug in and go down the road with it and watch and see if you loose the VSS signal.

If there was someone local that could do it I’d drive it there, but driving it derated is no good when you need to do highway speeds to get to a shop and it just can’t. 
I’m going to try adjusting the sensor, if that doesn’t work I’ll replace it since it’s cheap. Then if that doesn’t work I’ll probably end up having to bring it to the shop again, but that’ll be after I try some things 

1 hour ago, Mark T said:

That's what he's talking about. Check on top of the transmission and look for something disturbed from the reverse switch issue. The sensor's plug is likely up there. It's not impossible the speedo sensor is bad as well. On occasion, those plastic ones don't live through being touched ( like as in resetting it's depth ) 

I’ll have to check that out tomorrow morning. I figured they were working in the same area maybe something happened, but the sensor is pretty cheap so can always try replacing it and go from there. Just seems like as soon as I’m ready to get it working it’s one thing after another :(

Update, I unplugged the sensor and plugged it back in and it was working, took the truck for a drive and no issues. I ordered a new sensor from the dealer and will install when it gets here. I’m not sure if it was a coincidence or just the sensor being on its way out (no idea how old it is) so I’m glad it was something simple this time!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dmurph2016 said:

Update, I unplugged the sensor and plugged it back in and it was working, took the truck for a drive and no issues. I ordered a new sensor from the dealer and will install when it gets here. I’m not sure if it was a coincidence or just the sensor being on its way out (no idea how old it is) so I’m glad it was something simple this time!

If it works, leave it alone ( lol )

12 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

do you have a dial for the dash lights?    They do mess up..

I should specify I do have turn signal/ 4 ways and the air warning light but I don’t believe any of the other lights come or or lights for any gauges. The truck does have a dial. But I haven’t looking into how it works yet 

It's a reostat, just turn it  to see if the dash lights work., if the lights come on but act stupid,,,, rotate the dial left and right as fast as you can to see if is just dirty.. it may come back to life....   Jojo

10 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

It's a reostat, just turn it  to see if the dash lights work., if the lights come on but act stupid,,,, rotate the dial left and right as fast as you can to see if is just dirty.. it may come back to life....   Jojo

Yeah i Already tried turning the dial nothing seems to come on. So I’m guessing either there’s a loose connection, or maybe all the bulbs are out, but that seems unlikely