Mack B-53/B-63 comparison.

I am a senior citizen that has always been interested in cars and trucks; especially those made in America.  I have photos of what is supposed to be a 1964 Mack B-53 and a 1964 Mack B-63 but  they are photos of the same truck.  It is a flatbed yellow truck with black fenders and the photos were taken at Clear Brook, VA.  Did Mack build both a B-53 and a B-63 in 1964 and is there anyway to tell one from the other?  The image is not sharp enough to read the insignia on the hood.  I am trying to correct my records so I can share the photos with my grandson.

1350108898_1964MackB-53ClearBrookVA24Sept2011062.JPG

If I recall, originally a B53 would have lips on the front fenders.  A B63 wouldn't.  So that truck may have started as a B53 but the fenders may have been replaced.

B53image.png.a51d9cd6db9bedb4c1f5336220e604d1.png

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I don't know the difference between the two models but do know the truck in your picture. It is a B-53 and belongs to a fellow from Warrenton whose father owned it and operated as a concrete mixer. It is a beautiful truck that went through an extensive restoration and addition of all the creature comforts A/C PS etc.

• Like 1

Harry S., Thank you very much.  For some reason I was showing B-53 on two photos and B-63 on two photo.   They were taken 3 different years.  I will correct the others now.  I do try very hard to get my information correct when I take the photos but I messed up somewhere.

In the mid-1950s Cooney Brothers out of Tarrytown, NY, had a fleet of B-63s.  They were indeed said to be beefed-up B-61s.  I doubt that any of those early ones had turbos.  They were supposed to be 170HP.  I was very junior and mostly in an LF and never got to try a B-63.  Anybody remember Cooney?