Engine Shut Down Come On & Goes Back

Hello Everyone, 

Posting to get some help with an issue I’m having with my 97 Ch613 E7427 Engine while driving the “engine shut down “ light started to come on for a few seconds then goes off... anyone know what I should be looking for ? Do you think I can pull codes? 

Thanks! 

B906763D-A9A4-43C2-9BA9-C71368843CEA.jpeg

5 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

first thing i would do is check coolant level. there is a low coolant switch that will turn on the shut down light. 

Coolant level is fine reservoir is topped off... where would the coolant level switch be located?

Edited by msbulldog601

Is the injection pump, electric? if so there, is a timing sensor, one at the fly wheel on the left side at around 10 O'Clock.  there is coolant sensors at the rear of the water manifold, yes... definatly check the coolant sensor in the radiator, or the tank on the left firewall. is there an oil pressure sensor in the oil filter pad? I think thats all of them.  Jojo

• Like 1

On the truck i have which is a VMAC 2 it for two years would miss or mis fire or sound like a back fire maybe on one cylinder and shake the truck good.I never saw a light come or a code come up.I would do this maybe once a week but about two weeks ago my voltmeter begine to drop voltage.I put a alternator on from one of the other truck but still low voltage.Then i started to check the alt wires and the ground below the starter with the 5/8 bolt on the wires to the block look a bit loose so i remove bolt and cleaned ever thing and now the voltage is up and also no mis fire sound.That been three weeks ago so i think the engine harness grounds to the block there.  

• Like 2

glenn akers

The red shut down is set to come on with the 3 sensors Joey mentioned those three can trigger a shut down you have a minute to decide!

How ever we used to disable low water shut down as it can be a PIA  ! the light will still appear but the no action was taken to shut down if disabled! check the wiring over near the oil cooler the clamps tend to rub the wires there ! be sure your not over heating! Good advice by Glen there too Cover the bases! 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 3:59 PM, Joey Mack said:

Is the injection pump, electric? if so there, is a timing sensor, one at the fly wheel on the left side at around 10 O'Clock.  there is coolant sensors at the rear of the water manifold, yes... definatly check the coolant sensor in the radiator, or the tank on the left firewall. is there an oil pressure sensor in the oil filter pad? I think thats all of them.  Jojo

Yes injection pump is electric.... when you say left side you do mean as in sitting in the truck so the driver side? Yes there is a oil pressure sensor on top of the oil filter pad. Should I just unplug the oil filter sensor Drive it and see will it come on? The “shutdown light “ only comes when the engine heats up. 

yes, always from the "Big seat".... You can try that with the sensor,  the engine will probably shut off after 10 seconds with the sensor unplugged. Well oil thins when its hot and pressure does drop... so, maybe a bad sensor, if you know the oil pressure is good. your gauge should be hydraulic.  there will be A #4 hose coming off the top of the filter pad, and going through the firewall to the gauge.. jojo

• Like 1

I started the truck up today after replacing fuel filters... rode the truck empty for about 45mins the “shutdown light” didn’t come on one time I drove the truck hard getting the temperature up to see would it come on and it didn’t. This was right before dark so it’s not as hot like the daytime. I have a picture of the injector pump should I replace this sensor since it’s a leak on it? The canister for my centrifugal filter is dented so it’s hitting the inside as it spins I wonder would that trigger the light and mess with oil pressure?

613B9BDD-E676-429A-B574-530E52EC2B90.jpeg

A8A44B1D-370E-47AA-992C-E547F297BBC9.jpeg

DBFC0AFC-9D6F-4C09-8426-2BE953D05D69.jpeg

Yes clean the T.E.M. sensor... wash the mess off before you remove it.. Don't "F" around.... Do a good job! Pay attention to the keyway on the sensor.  The dented centrimax housing looks to be minor, when you shut the engine you should be able to hear the filter spin down, or have someone shut the truck off and you can feel it spin down, or... just change the housing...It wont effect oil pressure because it will just pump oil through it..  

Edited by Joey Mack
More content needed

Okay I’m dreading going to the Mack dealer I know it’s going to cost me... I have one more thing... I ran the truck today until the “shut down” light came on pulled over at idle my oil psi is about 25psi so I accelerated a little to push it to 30psi and the light went off I put truck in gear go on interstate it came back on about a mile down the road I went back to the yard park accelerated push the oil psi to 30 psi again the light shut off. What do you all think of this?

seems odd to me.. if your on the highway the oil pressure should go up with higher engine speeds. I'm scratching my head.... just for kicks, the round duetch connector for the governor housing..... did you check the wires to see if they are loose or chafed sometimes the pins will move inside the plug and make a poor connection. .. jojo

On 4/1/2021 at 4:25 PM, Joey Mack said:

seems odd to me.. if your on the highway the oil pressure should go up with higher engine speeds. I'm scratching my head.... just for kicks, the round duetch connector for the governor housing..... did you check the wires to see if they are loose or chafed sometimes the pins will move inside the plug and make a poor connection. .. jojo

Governor housing ? Only connector I can remember of like that is the one to the injector pump... where would this governor housing be located?

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey. I have a 2002 Mack Rd and the last 8 months about the shut down light just stays on. Of course all fluid has been checked and all sensors have been replaced. It will even do it just when I turn the key on in the morning before even starting it. The buzz sound is annoying but it never shuts the truck off. Had a few mechanics look and can’t figure it out. Might need to try to replace the cluster but for now I’m just rolling. 

Can you hook a scanner to it to see what codes it has? You say the buzzer is goin off all the time? Is oil pressure above 10 PSI?  I wouldn't throw parts at it before looking for a faulty sensor, or bad wires,. When you turn the key on do all the warning lights do a self check?