E7 won’t stay running

Gravelguy413

Hey guys any ideas on this? 1996 E7 fully mechanical engine. Truck used to start easily even after sitting for weeks, now it has long cranking time before it will start. Started it today and after about 30 min of idling truck started to idle rough a couple times then stalled and would not start. Came back an hour later and it started and ran for a couple minutes and started idling rough again and I was able to rev it up to keep it running but then it stalled out. Fuel filters are a couple yrs old about 10k miles on them could this be the problem? Why the long crank time?

Just for kicks carefully put air pressure in the tank with a blowgun and a rag to cover the filler hole, have a buddy look for fuel leaks starting with tank lines to the primary filter. I wonder if you are sucking air... i guess you havent changed the old fuel filters. also look in the fuel tanks for debris.  I have found ; grass, sticks left by people checking the fuel level, and the twig broke, also, I have found electrical tape in the tanks. Many years ago an old timer told that, fired employees would drop a small roll of electrical tape in the tanks, it just loosens up and unrolls...   then gets sucked up. check the simple things first. Good luck, Jojo

Man.... there's so many stupid things that happen, that we wouldn't think about at first.... then after a ton of time and work... you find a soda bottle cap liner in the tank,.. Hell,,, one time on an E-7, I had cut open an oil filter to check engine health. it was full of silver flakes...   i dug into it all day, drained the engine oil through a strainer,  and there a few clear plastic discs in the strainer...  it was oil bottle cap seals, and the silver coating made it to the filters... It totally fooled me to thinking I had metal wearing in the engine.... I totally get it..... jojo

• Like 1

Also look at the check valve or over flow valve or pressure regulator or what ever its called now and if its the one with a spring pull and make sure spring is not broken.This is the one on the fuel return on the side of the pump.Remember some of them has no spring and plunger but is a fixed orfice 

• Like 2

glenn akers