Air Compressor for E-6 350

mackone

Hi, I'm needing a air compressor for my 1989 Mack, it has a E-6 350 Econodyne engine, local place I deal with that sells truck parts said they would need the number off the compressor to get the right one, but the numbers are wore off the tag can't read nothing on it. Was wondering if anyone would know what the model number is , or which compressor I would need?  

Yes, Midland. Easy to replace and I feel better than the Bendix 501 series as the unloaders for the valves can be serviced without removing the head.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

EL1300 is most common in those years but they will interchange. The EL1600 is a higher displacement but the same physical size IIRC. Change your drive coupling too although the original may look perfect.

Power steering type which you look to have:

image.thumb.png.f0b6e37d0de52ddafb29c9da8081082a.png

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2021 at 10:11 AM, mackone said:

Yes, I found a compressor on eBay from a  place in Illinois that rebuilds them, Mine was putting alot oil through the air lines. Started putting the new  one on Yesterday.

yesterday.

I assume that one uses the oil feed tube in the end of the compressor crank like all of the ones I have seen.  DON'T FORGET THE TUBE!!!  It'll make you feel silly if you do!

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Hey Mackone let me know what you got new or reman and from who and most importantly if it pushes oil through your system, I'm on my third compressor right from Mack and it pushes oil like a Saudi oil field ugh !!! I gave up, I just chase down each valve and maxi can the oil ruins... Ironically just today replaced my heater/AC control panel and both piston accuators the oil has ruined !

Fastduramax, I got a remanufactured one from a place called Rebuilders Enterprise in Bridgeview, IL. So far all noticed is a little bit of oil residue out of the air dryer not much just small amount.  I'm hoping it is from oil that was already in the system. Before I changed it, pushed oil out bad, big puddle out the dryer, and In all the lines.  Nice RD you got there btw.

REI is a very consistent rebuilder and I've used them several times. Nice folks too if you visit them.

EPDM rubber does not fare well when in contact with engine oil and readily swells, softens, and/or splits. It is the rubber the diaphragms, and piston cups are molded from in the aforementioned failing parts.

With a failed air compressor one is best to remove and flush the discharge line from the air compressor to the air dryer or wet tank, and the wet tank at least as this is where most of the "tramp oil" will accumulate.  

• Like 1