Low power- help

Nsfr1206

I bought another Mack MR with a concrete pump on it and wow is it a dog. It really struggles. I changed air filter and fuel filters and still very weak. I understand it’s got an aset ai 350 in it. Does anybody have a log in and could check whether my computer is up to date? 

I’ve been told the only way to get more power is to actually change some hard parts, like the camshaft. Being an ai I guess it gulps a little hot air. Is that my only option, to swap parts?

Last 6 of vin is 031388

edit- year is 2006

no pyrometer or turbo boost gauge

engine fan is very loud and runs a LOT

Edited by Nsfr1206

Yeah I read a lot of that topic. Good info. Truck should be around 56,000. I think the larger 2004 with the 400 at 82,000 or so would outrun it and I know the 2008 with 400 and 56,000 would outrun it. It runs really well. 

Mack dealer said it wasn’t possible to turn into a 400 without changing parts. 

edit- I dropped it off at Mack today and he said it could be reflashed but to really get the power you need to do the camshaft swap etc. So he was going to see if they could turn it up. I picked up my larger truck and it certainly runs better than the 350 even though it weighs a bunch more. He also thinks the 350 is missing a bit so we shall see what’s up. 

Edited by Nsfr1206

Have you thought about switching the exhaust manifold, Mack also put a very restrictive exhaust manifold on the AI engines to be able to pass the 2004 EPA restrictions. It might be a little bit cheaper then replacing the cam, if you're looking still looking for power after the dealer turns it up a little bit.

Yes. Along with turbo, injectors, and go to 5” exhaust from the 4” to help get rid of back pressure. We will see what happens Monday at the dealer. Maybe it will get woke up. The truck runs a little hotter than my larger one so fan runs and sucks even more power. I hope to get that resolved also. 

An AI 350 and 400 are the exact same engine. On a factory HP upgrade No hard parts to change, only download is different. Bumping to 427-460 then your talking turbo and injectors. Only the early Etech ( 1998.5 -2001) needed camshaft key way swap to go to bigger HP. 

They changed the pump at front of engine and the regulator. They also programmed it to 400 from 350. I picked it up today. It’s better but still not as good as my heavier pump. It runs warmer too which doesn’t make much sense to me. What’s my next move? They put stock injector nozzles in. If I change to older style manifold and 5” after turbo will this help with back pressure and maybe some heat?