Is ELD required?

This is possibly a Canadian road rules question I'm not sure if same rules as U.S. I have a guy interested in my 2000 CH but he doesn't want it if he has to install elog. He would be crossing border to U.S.   The truck was built in January 2000 I'm trying to decifer rules but I'm not a lawyer so I'm confused on the issue. So far here's what I've found hopefully someone can help

image000000_01.jpg

If the trucks birthday is Jan 2000 then chances are the engine was built in 1999.  If that's the case it is exempt from ELD.  Friend runs a 2000 Freightliner. Gets a lot to see his ELD. Tips the hood, shows them the 1999 engine build date and he is exempt 

• Like 1

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

You would have to find a build date on it to prove the engine was made before Jan 1, 2000.

But most MTO don't look at engine, they would go off build date on your door tag. In which case you would need E-Log because it is an electronic engine.

• 2 months later...

He would need an 

On 5/16/2020 at 7:53 PM, alex g said:

This is possibly a Canadian road rules question I'm not sure if same rules as U.S. I have a guy interested in my 2000 CH but he doesn't want it if he has to install elog. He would be crossing border to U.S.   The truck was built in January 2000 I'm trying to decifer rules but I'm not a lawyer so I'm confused on the issue. So far here's what I've found hopefully someone can help

image000000_01.jpg

he would need an ELD. If its not a 1999 year engine on the serial plate, they will just give you a hard time. 

Same goes for up here next year.

Thanks bbigrig he never did see me again about truck so I put it back to work again. So far I'm glad I kept it. Its a good running truck the crew at Mack must have been having a good day when they built it.