OIL SAMPLE

wilbur

1 minute ago, wilbur said:

How does this look? There is 60,000 miles on a fresh rebuild. Finally got rid of the fuel in oil problem.

80-200102 (2).pdf 18.63 kB · 1 download

She is still wearing in but numbers look pretty good. I would like to see less iron content which is ring and liner wear but zinc, phosphorus, and calcium are up from the type oil selected I believe. I like Delvac 15W-40 in diesels myself which tends to yield a bit better numbers in my Mack engines. 

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Over time you will be pleased with the consistent results that oil provides. It is especially well suited to older Mack engines where ash deposits were a major sludge contributor in mechanical engines.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Only issue we have with Mobil is their sales strategies. We’re stuck with them because of a national account agreement and Mobil is vendor abusive. The 1500 is being sold for about $8.35 a gallon per contract, so the price is good, however they can’t keep vendors. 

Mobil is soft when contracting on to a new vendor then they begin to choke hold them early in the relationship. They may first agree to 60% market preferences, but after a year they examine the vendor to see if Mobil replaced the other in-house brands through attrition. If not......Mobil then requires the vendor to convert all lubricant vending to Mobil Brand only or lose the franchise. Our last two vendors told Mobil to “Stick It!”. Now our vendor is hours away. They were not doing well as a business so taking on an overbearing Mobil dist was fine for them. 

I cornered the Mobil salesman and engineer about running out the good vendors. They said “can’t have a salesman wearing two hats when selling our products”. I asked them why Volvo Blue Can is only sold by Mobil? Mobil makes a replacement oil for all the other OEM oils except Volvo. They hee hawed a bit and Salesman said “We make Volvo’s OEM oil, we won’t blend a replacement against their OEM sales”. Mobil listed 424 as a replacement for Volvo axle lube, but spit out a fake disclaimer that said you have to change the 424 at half the normal drain intervals of OEM Volvo oil.......both of which they make. It’s the same oil rebranded to a blue can! The politics are thick and sick with them.  

Edited by Mack Technician

Only reason I'm any kind of loyal to Mobil is I know several Caterpillar engineers personally in engines, transmissions, and drive axle departments whom seemingly swear by Mobil products for initial fill in new machines. All the Cat plants in this area are serviced by the little oil supplier, (whom is not so little any longer) here in Farmington. Hopefully that continues to be good for them, but knowing the way Caterpillar operates, it can be questionable long term.

22 minutes ago, david wild said:

I like Mystic but cannot get anyone to stock it, I will be in the oil business next.

Blain's "Farm and Fleet" here in the midwest stocks a pretty good supply of "Mystik" lubrication products. A couple of other farm store chains do also, but I don't much get in to them very often.