superliner trans question.

tjc transport

we were discussing older trucks we drove today, and i remembered a late 70's early 80's superliner tractor i ran with a dump trailer back in the late 80's early 90's. 

it had a V8 and a strange trans in it. 13 speed air shift, but it also had a small about 6 inch tall deep reduction stick between the driver seat and main stick, but much closer to the seat than main stick. 

low, direct, and overdrive. but 4th and 5th were not reversed like most of the 13 overs from back then.

anyone know what trans that may have been?

Edited by tjc transport

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

On 12/15/2019 at 5:20 AM, tjc transport said:

could be,   it WAS close to 30 years ago. i guess i may be mistaken and reverse was on the splitter and not the main stick.

its 12 speed then with deep reduction being on the second  stick! Note  that when using deep reduction on these you only get to use  first gear and one split! the rest of the box gets locked out when in first and low,low!

Edited by fjh

yup, that is the way it was, deep reduction in first and reverse only. 

and now that i think of it, you did not split 5th because 4th over and 5th direct was the same so you skipped 5th direct and went from 4th over to 5th over. which would make it 12 gears 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..