oil leak on ezt 673

davehummell

I just installed this engine in my b model and it had a leak down where the air compressor was mounted to the block so new gasket and a good cleanup on surfaces and no joy still leaks another new mack gasket at 19.00 and I really looked at the block there was a hole drilled at the back bottom of the block that the gasket didn't cover fully so I tapped the hole out to 7/16 fine and made a plug and now no leaks. I have worked on mack engines before but I have never seen this the air compressor is a 501 and the gasket fit the mounting area on the compressor but not the block ? This engine came out of a firetruck but that shouldn't make any difference for the air compressor mounting. I was told that there was only one gasket number but I am not so shure. Anyone got an idea? Thanks

Being a firetruck engine could have run a 550 or a 570 compressor for higher volume and quicker air build up. They both have a drain(?)  hole near the bottom of  the flange.

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

KKergall I thought so but the parts guy that worked as a parts guy for triple city's mack before moving down to cook's as a parts guy said no only one. 41 Chevy I have to agree with you the compressor that is on it is not the original style but I asked and all I got was I need the truck model and serial number. I know you can't remember everything but lately all I get is I don't know. I forget but it was almost 40 years ago when I worked on the mack fleet. I had to drive 30 miles to show the guy that yes there is a seal on the adapter cover for the smoke valve Thank you for your information.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 3:13 PM, davehummell said:

KKergall I thought so but the parts guy that worked as a parts guy for triple city's mack before moving down to cook's as a parts guy said no only one. 41 Chevy I have to agree with you the compressor that is on it is not the original style but I asked and all I got was I need the truck model and serial number. I know you can't remember everything but lately all I get is I don't know. I forget but it was almost 40 years ago when I worked on the mack fleet. I had to drive 30 miles to show the guy that yes there is a seal on the adapter cover for the smoke valve Thank you for your information.

I get the Gee I don't know all the time when I go for engine parts for my 3 AM Generals. I told them the engine is a Cummins Big Cam 400 and I need rocker box gasket sets and I get what kind of truck is it. when I tell them it's generally followed by who makes it. I figure if it is not in the computer the counter mann goes into blank mode.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

There is an old time john deere tractor dealer not too far from me and when I bought my 318 garden tractor  I drove in to get a new mower belt I gave the guy all the numbers off the machine 1 hour later after two parts guys looked an looked they gave me a belt and I quote if this doesn't fit we will try another one! I later was down to another deere dealer  Mark the parts guy i always used for years rattled of the belt number from memory he was a great parts guy sadly he past away this summer.