MP8 oil filter housing removal

Keffer inc

There is no coolant in the oil filter housing . Sadly it’s probably the side cover/oil cooler gasket leaking . Seen several leaking . Early Mp8  side covers had a grove machined in them for a rubber string o-ring . Later the grove was eliminated and a standard metal/rubber gasket was implemented.  Best I remember Mack quit making the original style gasket and cover . We always upgraded to the new cover and gasket when they leaked or had issues. Also the big square o-ring between the water pump housing and side cover has been know to leak. But it’s well forward of the oil filter housing .  

The turbo and EGR valve and egr cooler has to come off . You run the risk of turbo or EGR valve bolts breaking off in the turbo or exhaust manifold. Plan on getting a new exhaust manifold. Plus the oil lines going to the EGR valve might be frozen. It’s not a fun job at all . However, I’d much rather do this than a Bull gear job. But that’s not saying much . 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Welp, you were right. I broke off the bottom egr bolt. I put the truck back together with three bolts and copper exhaust sealant and that didn't work at all. So I ran the truck a couple weeks trying to recoup some money first but its going to the dealer. I'm not gonna break anyone bolts myself. Especially the ones going into the head.

I have always been a believer of fixing your own stuff, if Mack did not hoard all the software downloads none of our trucks would ever see a dealer, here in GA it would be subpar work and then you would have to fix what they fixed anyway. buy tools and read books it will be cheaper then going to the dealer. run your business like a business and not a steering wheel holder. Sorry but sometimes the truth isn't sweet.