5 Ton Mack Engine question

Local guy has a 5 Ton Military Mack for sale for not a lot of money.

Naive question is what on that huge truck could be retrofitted into a 59 b61?

it is a 673 with a turbo. Which would be a big upgrade from my non turbo 711.

Thanks,

Chris

The engine swap "should" be relatively easy.  Hard to tell without seeing what it is. Don't think much else would be of value to you. 

If the army truck is complete and functioning, I would leave it complete and source a replacement engine for your B-61 from something else.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The mil-spec ENDT-673 was a one-off for the project, fielded from '66-'68 before being replaced with a Hercules Multifuel. 

Very few 'normal' Mack parts will fit that engine, especially around the bell and water pump/oil cooler/thermostat.  It has a two-sump oil pan with special pumps, too.

It was known for good mileage, low maintainence, and good longevity.  Just expensive.

dg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Conelrad said:

The mil-spec ENDT-673 was a one-off for the project, fielded from '66-'68 before being replaced with a Hercules Multifuel. 

Very few 'normal' Mack parts will fit that engine, especially around the bell and water pump/oil cooler/thermostat.  It has a two-sump oil pan with special pumps, too.

It was known for good mileage, low maintainence, and good longevity.  Just expensive.

dg

Yup. I have one on a stand in the shop that is complete. Pulled from a 68 M54A1 several years ago.

Edited by Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.