EM7 engine problem

zumogo

If you can determine which cylinder is causing the issue these pumps have a track record For the delivery valve washers cracking Its a simple fix if you have the right socket to remove the delivery valve! If you have a fuel shop near you?  you could stop by and have em check this!

Edited by fjh

It'll probably have a right side computer, which people say you have to be very careful with. Its close to the frame and if the engine torques too much from worn out engine mount bushings all it takes is a tiny dent in the housing and the ECU is shot. Personally I like the 2001 etech engines, but I only had limited experience owning one for a year or so.

• Like 1

Nice looking truck. How many hours on the clock? My 95 e7-350 has over 19,100 hours. Hasn't needed much. Watch your pyrometer when pulling hills, my e7-350 doesn't want to be taken over 1025 degrees, but it'll easily do 1150.  Gotta be careful to not over heat the heads.  You'll wish for more hp sometimes, but that motor will keep you on the road, not in the shop. And at the end of the day that's good on your bottom line. 

JoeH

The engine has some blow-by. It will need a inframe. Hopefully it will keep me busy until the season it's over. Around November. Then I'll get it rebuild. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the tip on the pyro. It has a new radiator and engine mounts. But I have to do some work to it. The exhaust pipe rubs, has a air leak, needs a a/c line and a recharge on the a/c. It also needs the dump body welded and a liner, new tires. In the future I would also like front hub pilot, previous owner did rear with hubs and aluminum wheels. 

Nice interior; looks like you need a tachometer sensor.  And you have a 8LL transmission. Nice trans, mine has one too, but mines a POS in my opinion. Mine shifts nice most of the time, but once in a while it hangs up in gear and ruins my upshift. Mine hasnt had AC since we bought it 12 years ago. I'm guessing its a completely mechanical engine because it's a 91 truck with a 96 engine. Hard to retrofit an ecu.

Yes JoeH, it's a mechanical engine. I have to pull the choker to shut it off.

Thanks

Yes the truck for its age has a nice interior. That's why I didn't think about it into buying it. I have seen many Mack's around that age. They all are beat up inside. Let's see how she makes money.

Joe is it a Mack Rd that you have? 

RD688S. Mines a concrete truck. Used to be a dump truck though.

KIMG0489~2.JPG

Yours it'll be hard to predict how much use the engine has unless it has a ReMack tag on the engine indicating when it was rebuilt.  It could have been bought used to replace a blown motor. No telling how much use it had before it was dropped into your truck.

Edited by JoeH

JoeH sweet Mack. Looks like the one I learn how to drive in. Nice truck

Well the engine in my truck that replaced the original engine has blow-by. With 700kmiles on the truck not the engine. I don't think it was rebuilt.

I finally got all my paperwork ready to go to DMV tomorrow.  Dot number was a headache. Because NJ requires dot number for intrastate. And dot website didn't want to give me a number unless it was interstate. I had to call twice and a couple of hours later I got my last requirement to register my truck.

13 hours ago, zumogo said:

JoeH sweet Mack. Looks like the one I learn how to drive in. Nice truck

Well the engine in my truck that replaced the original engine has blow-by. With 700kmiles on the truck not the engine. I don't think it was rebuilt.

I finally got all my paperwork ready to go to DMV tomorrow.  Dot number was a headache. Because NJ requires dot number for intrastate. And dot website didn't want to give me a number unless it was interstate. I had to call twice and a couple of hours later I got my last requirement to register my truck.

I went through the headache a few years ago in PA. Most states now require a usdot number, regardless of inter or intra.  It's a way of tracking violations. If you get pulled over and have a violation put against your usdot number but a state is using a state dot number then the violation won't show up in both systems, just the system the violation was put against.  By using the universal federal system they do away with companies having multiple operating numbers and hiding violations.

JoeH

I'm still trying to get insurance. I was going to get progressive, but because a ticket I got driving my personal car(no points), they double the quote. So I'm calling a couple of insurance companies trying to get a deal. 21k+ a year is a little excessive. I rather park the truck since I only have until the end of November.

Ouch! 21k?? What are you hauling?? I paid 11k/year to haul fuel oil, and that carries a high general liability.  If you're new to trucking I'd walk away if you can't find something wayyyy lower.  Can't make money with a 21k policy.

If you're going to make a living with your driver's license you need to keep it spotless. Hind sight is 20/20.