E-Tech E7-460 Common Issues

I am looking to buy a 2003 CH613. The seller claims that the truck has a 460 E-tech engine in it. I know virtually nothing about the electronic Mack engines and was wondering what issues (if any) you guys have had from these engines? Also how do these engines perform compared to the mechanical E7? We currently have a fleet of five trucks, only one of which is a Mack with a mechanical E7 in it and it will run circles around our 450hp Cats. 

21 minutes ago, Dirtymilkman said:

Miles? Hours? Past history? Main thing is to check nitrates in the antifreeze. I'm also a big believer in valve set and injectors every 250,000 miles. I've had quite a few E7's and worst thing I ever had happen was an injector tip split. 

I agree with all that, but are you talking about r&r injectors or just setting them; my bad you don’t set them, guess you are talking r&r. Really don’t get that.

Edited by 1965

I’d have an oil analyze on everything if I could; tells the story. Same place can do it all. Oil in every component & anti-freeze. You can do the fuel too; but on that engine probably not as useful as the modern 1’s

Edited by 1965

2 hours ago, Dirtymilkman said:

Miles? Hours? Past history? Main thing is to check nitrates in the antifreeze. I'm also a big believer in valve set and injectors every 250,000 miles. I've had quite a few E7's and worst thing I ever had happen was an injector tip split. 

The truck has 245,000 original miles. It has been in the oil field industry in the south. Mack 18-speed with Mack Axles. Super clean and straight truck from what I can tell

Hours on the tachometer?

I had an 01 etech 400 for a year or two, I loved the truck. Super easy to diagnose engine codes via blink code, no emissions crap like def and egr. 

My mechanical e7-350 has 19,000 hours and 253k miles, still runs like a champ, no idea how much longer I'll get out of the injection pump and injectors.  

Does this truck you're looking at have any egr emissions crap?

9 hours ago, JoeH said:

Hours on the tachometer?

I had an 01 etech 400 for a year or two, I loved the truck. Super easy to diagnose engine codes via blink code, no emissions crap like def and egr. 

My mechanical e7-350 has 19,000 hours and 253k miles, still runs like a champ, no idea how much longer I'll get out of the injection pump and injectors.  

Does this truck you're looking at have any egr emissions crap?

Not that I am aware of, the seller said that it did not have any egr garbage. I have not personally seen the truck, it is located about 600 miles away from me. The truck has 245,000 original miles. 

Look up how to pull etech blink codes on here. I've explained it a half dozen times and don't feel like typing it again.

When you turn the key on the check engine light (lightning bolt) better come on briefly then go out. That means

A. The bulb hasnt been pulled out to hide codes and 

B. The engine has no active fault codes.

600 miles is a bit far to go and not buy a truck. Some guys here say the etech is the last great Mack engine before Volvo really screwed the pooch.

• Thanks 1