help with low oil pressure only at idle??

dickey

just bought this 1994 dump with e7 400  the thing runs excellent,no blowby,no smoke pulls great, oil pressure 56lbs at 1650 but at idle 8 lbs bump it to 800 rpm and its 30lbs ,,,oil pump??? already changed filter,oil,and put manual gauge on it,,,????

19 minutes ago, dickey said:

just bought this 1994 dump with e7 400  the thing runs excellent,no blowby,no smoke pulls great, oil pressure 56lbs at 1650 but at idle 8 lbs bump it to 800 rpm and its 30lbs ,,,oil pump??? already changed filter,oil,and put manual gauge on it,,,????

Roll in some new main and rod bearings. Probable has over 500K miles on it. Oil pressure is OK at 1650RPM so pump should be fine just replace pressure spring. 

Or... put some 90 weight in it and the pressure should go up for awhile....😀

4 hours ago, dickey said:

i understand my pressure is low,thats why i was asking for input,i was thinkin bearings but thought maybe someone else had same problem 

Oil pressure is not an uncommon problem with a lot of engines.  

I was making a little fun of adding 90 weight, do not do, but if all else is OK the fix is lower end bearings and pump spring. Not knowing any more about your engine or service, maintenance that can add to the issues the fix is straight forward and would take about a day or so to do labor wise. The V8's were harder on bearings than the I6's and if not replaced at every 250K the engine would be toast. If done with proper scheduled maintenance a million miles before rebuild could be had on the V8. Some others here would probably say a longer interval on a bearing roll on the 6 cylinder engines. I think 670k miles is pushing it though.

Edited by AZB755V8

Pull the oil pump relief cartridge. If it’s galled clean it with a fine grit. Check the seating face seal taper. View it as valves in a head.... is it clean? and even halo where it engages the seat? no erosion or pits? Keep a sample of the oil and send it in to see if you have presence of soft metals. If your pressure is low, and your pump looks ok, you may have spun, and may not especially be main bearings. Pump’s rotating group rarely fails, have seen parts of pump fail on multiple occasions. 

Lot of folks buying junk engines these days sold by people who oil test. In other words “people who know exactly when to sell”. 

Edited by Mack Technician