Allison 3000

Hobert62

I got a project engine that came with an Allison model 3000 hooked to it.   How does it come off?   I unbolted the bolts trough the bell housing and can only get them separated about 5/8”.  I was thinking it would just pull apart like a car tranny.  

Small window under starter.  2 bolts hold the cover on.  Remove cover,  turn engine until you see a flexplate bolt, remove bolt, turn engine until next bolt.  Continue 

Installing bolts is the important part.

If you drop a bolt inside while installing trans,  you’ll have to pull trans back out.  Take your time while installing the bolts.  You will have to put them all in most of the way, then go back around for final torque.  

Not difficult.  Good luck

• Like 1

Thanks.  I was thinking convertor would just pull out of the front of the tranny.  I’m not reinstalling only wanted engine.  It’s sitting on my trailer may just pull starter so I have a bigger hole to work through. 

4 hours ago, KKERGALL said:

Do you have S/N# off trans and how much $ for trans ? Rich

I can get you the info.  There is s tag on the convertor and tranny that say something like Allison reman.    I know absolutely nothing about it’s condition.   It was in a wrecked rear engine school bus behind a 8.3 Cummins.  I didn’t see the bus either.    I’m in central Pa. zip is 17830.    Make me an offer and come get it.   

Not exactly sure what it is other then an Eaton.  the tag is missing on that one.   Has a #2 bellhousing, think it’s a 14” single disc clutch, was out of a f800 I think. Had a 5.9 in front of it.    Was going to use with my 8.3 until I found the rto6613

Make sure the engine spins in the proper direction. Some bus engines the engine spins "backwards" because that's what they have to do to get the trans to spin the wheels "forward"

You may have wasted money buying the engine, not real familiar with bus engines other than that some are set up to run backwards.

Edited by JoeH