New Mack O/O

USMC205

Hello everyone, I’m Josh.  I’ve been running my 01’ RD688 with an E7 460 for over a year now.  Seems to be a solid truck as long as you keep up with fluids and grease.  I originally didn’t plan on getting a Mack but this one jumped out to me.  Pretty clean for an 01 dump truck and the 460 seems to pull heavy loads just fine (though I’ve heard the 427 will walk the dog).  All in all I’m very happy with the truck and look forward to putting many more miles on it.  It ain’t the most comfortable truck but I’ve done things them long noses wouldn’t even try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, USMC205 said:

Hello everyone, I’m Josh.  I’ve been running my 01’ RD688 with an E7 460 for over a year now.  Seems to be a solid truck as long as you keep up with fluids and grease.  I originally didn’t plan on getting a Mack but this one jumped out to me.  Pretty clean for an 01 dump truck and the 460 seems to pull heavy loads just fine (though I’ve heard the 427 will walk the dog).  All in all I’m very happy with the truck and look forward to putting many more miles on it.  It ain’t the most comfortable truck but I’ve done things them long noses wouldn’t even try.

Sound deaden that cab and get a great seat and keep the a/c up. You have just as comfortable truck as any. 

2 hours ago, USMC205 said:

Is dynamat the best for soundproofing?

Welcome! Dynamat is good so is the Lizard Skin spray in acoustic blocker. Both will work.   Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I think dynamat has one of the better decibel damping to them but what makes the biggest differences is covering the whole cab and any holes in the fire wall. also adding it in the doors to dampen the vibration that is amplified in the hollow part of the door. 

What I did on my 1977 R model is use some peel and stick asphalt roofing membrane sold at home depot. its less than 1/2 the cost of dynamat and it came in a roll about 12' wide that covered more area. It looks just like dynamat.

before I installed it I had painted the cab floor, roof, rear wall, inside the doors with a rubber 3m spray. then I put cut and stuck the sheets on the interior using a wood roller wheel to force it to conform to corners in the sheet metal.   I covered the whole interior with it including doors and fire wall. I then put down a carpet rubber waterproof floor mat. the fire wall got a 1/8" foam covering that was glued to the roofing sheets.  When all said and done it made the truck fairly quiet considering its age. I could hear the radio with out having to crank it up. phone calls were easy to hear. no vibrations. when I shut the door it sounds like a solid chunk of wood. non of that pop can sound anymore