We've been putting 15-40 in our small fleet of MP8's.  Purchased used. No decal stating otherwise and thought nothing of it.  Purchased a VNL with D13 and sticker says 10-30.  Research says synth due to added heat in newer engines.   Is anyone running 15-40..is it a real issue?  Is synth 5-40 an option...It would be more versatile oil for us to use.

Thanks! 

We have been using 15/40 with no issues for 10 years right up till this last year ! 10/30 is just starting to be more popular!

If you're in Texas I'd stick with 15/40, if you're in Alaska I'd go with 10/30 because of difference in climate temperatures.

The lightest we’d run is 10W-40. We can park 75% of trucks and off road equipment indoors so we generally use heavy oil, mostly Mobil 1300 15W-40. All 4 of our D13's are running 15W-40.

Edited by Mack Technician

We run synthetic, it’s either 05-40w or 0-40w my memory isn’t working. Trucks start a helluva lot easier in subzero temps with that light oil. Run synthetic in all of the gear boxes as well.