Hey guys a little help.here ...I've owned Mack's for a long time but they have been r models 86 thru 89 ...I'm looking to buy a 2001 RD tractor ...497000 on it ...what should I look for before buying it and how many miles is that engine good for ....what should I expect to have trouble with at that mileage ...thanks I appreciate any tips 

what motor/size?

had a 2001 CX with E-7 427hp that was running like a champ at 835k. never opened the motor up

only sold it as health issues encouraged me to sell

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

6 minutes ago, blackdog2 said:

How many turbos unit pump change rust-frame mine 6-turbos at 1800.00 unit pumps  and 8LL trans 7th gear jump out 443000 miles 3-times to the dealer for trans still jumps out park for 4-years now junk buying mid 80s now happy now ......

8LL is famous for that; bad design on shifting collar; smaller than the rest

23 minutes ago, blackdog2 said:

How many turbos unit pump change rust-frame mine 6-turbos at 1800.00 unit pumps  and 8LL trans 7th gear jump out 443000 miles 3-times to the dealer for trans still jumps out park for 4-years now junk buying mid 80s now happy now ......

Ya I'm afraid of the electronics ...my 88 always starts ..no electronics

Etech motor? Buy Mack book 5-106 for the mechanical repairs, and book 8-211 for the vmac III codes/repairs/diagnostics.  You can hold down the set/decel button (with key on/engine off) to cause it to spit out active fault codes in a 2 digit format. One request spits out one code, hit set/decel for another code.  I wouldn't be afraid of it, pending it passing a thorough visual inspection and checking for fault codes, and a test drive. But 350 hp for a tractor is a bit soft IMO...

An ‘01 with less than 500k on a etech 350 mated to an 8ll...? One of the best combos ever. If takin care of even just a little should be good for awhile yet.  

My 01 ch with a 427 and a 15spd Eaton has 1.2 million in it and was only rebuilt once at 600k. 

The E-7 is a tough motor. Cams and liner issues are some if any of the “major” concerns. Rebuilding is reasonable when the time comes.

And the best part- No emissions.