60series turbo for Ami 370

R.E.D

Hello guys,

I began sourcing out parts for my granite in order to change turbo , exhaust manifold and exhaust piping .I just found a good deal on what looks to be a mechanical wasgated Detroit 12.7 turbo that's too good to pass up.i want to know if it'll work good on my granite with upgraded injectors.i know it wouldn't be a direct fit , but as long as the exhaust flange bolts up I can take care of the turbo to intercooler piping.

Thanks

Red

20181207_1426181.jpg

20181207_1426141.jpg

On 1/8/2019 at 9:39 AM, fullfuel01 said:

it seems they do good on E7 pre etech engine (vmac1) I have on on my etech and it's too big, I guess it wouldnt work good on a ami either. I will retrofit to a non wastegate 460 turbo.

Whats the problem with your current set up?Is it taking too long to build boost?is your truck stock ?I would think that with aftermarket injectors and a good flowing exhaust it should work .

I cant get enough fuel to make all the boost it should. 30psi was the max with non stock injector and still a lazy dog. I have been trying to find someone that can trick the ecm without luck. I also try to get bosch pump that supply more fuel with the same pulse. If you don't have a Cat, no one want to touch or know how to improve it..

2 hours ago, fullfuel01 said:

I cant get enough fuel to make all the boost it should. 30psi was the max with non stock injector and still a lazy dog. I have been trying to find someone that can trick the ecm without luck. I also try to get bosch pump that supply more fuel with the same pulse. If you don't have a Cat, no one want to touch or know how to improve it..

What's your mpg with your current set up.I gross 64000 and can't get better than 5.35 mpg with 4.42 and 11r22.5.I reckon even if it lags, that Detroit turbo will make it breathe better than that wimpy s300.

There have been several posts about using bigger injectors and detroit turbo but when I went to checking on the turbo the first thing they want to know is a part number they are several different ones but I have yet to see a actual part number. Detroit turbos on eBay for 400 dollars and up just knowing which one to buy is the big question

18 minutes ago, 880joe said:

There have been several posts about using bigger injectors and detroit turbo but when I went to checking on the turbo the first thing they want to know is a part number they are several different ones but I have yet to see a actual part number. Detroit turbos on eBay for 400 dollars and up just knowing which one to buy is the big question

I'll probably buy it anyway since I can probably re sell to any Detroit guy at my yard.i will post part number.

Since it’s an AMI, yes sir and will(if you haven’t already) mount up with no problems, make sure the waste gate works and please let me know how it does with your 370 hp,please, oh please!!!! I know of some ASET AC engines that have been changed a slight bit and that turbo was used, on one perticular one who had been getting passed by a KW CAT3406, the comment that he sent to my buddy in a text was “ HERE KITTY,KITTY !!!!” You may not have the same results as him,but it should help a pretty good bit!!! Good luck

Edited by LilMartian

And you thought only NASA had rocket scientist!!!!

6 hours ago, LilMartian said:

Since it’s an AMI, yes sir and will(if you haven’t already) mount up with no problems, make sure the waste gate works and please let me know how it does with your 370 hp,please, oh please!!!! I know of some ASET AC engines that have been changed a slight bit and that turbo was used, on one perticular one who had been getting passed by a KW CAT3406, the comment that he sent to my buddy in a text was “ HERE KITTY,KITTY !!!!” You may not have the same results as him,but it should help a pretty good bit!!! Good luck

From the research i have done so far , i believe the wastegate is set to 35psi but I will confirm this when I bolts it up and have the vecu upgraded to the step 12b .I ain't looking for crazy horse power or even to tame any kitties , just want the bulldog to act like a bulldog not like the Chihuahua it is now😁

• Like 1

Gotcha and by the way, the wastegate part number you want is 172743. If the one you found online is the 171702 p/n, that is a non waste gate turbo. Get your vecu to 12b , 380P4 , which is for throttle response, won’t do anything for engine power but does help somewhat with tps reaction and if the person that is doing the programming is an older Mack “mechanic “, ask him if he knows Mr. Frank in tech support, if so, he might be able to get them to change the engine files as well. ( I didn’t say that out loud) good luck and keep me posted, just curious on how it helps. 

And you thought only NASA had rocket scientist!!!!

6 minutes ago, LilMartian said:

Gotcha and by the way, the wastegate part number you want is 172743. If the one you found online is the 171702 p/n, that is a non waste gate turbo. Get your vecu to 12b , 380P4 , which is for throttle response, won’t do anything for engine power but does help somewhat with tps reaction and if the person that is doing the programming is an older Mack “mechanic “, ask him if he knows Mr. Frank in tech support, if so, he might be able to get them to change the engine files as well. ( I didn’t say that out loud) good luck and keep me posted, just curious on how it helps. 

Thank you for your insight.i believe it is a wastegate model (see picture at the beginning of this post) since it has the signal line from the cold side of the turbo to the wastegate actuator.i will post more pics Saturday when I pick it up.