New Aerialscope Owner

Dilbert120

Hi all, 

My search for a CF Aerialscope finally yielded one at a reasonable price. The truck just came out of service from a fire department that was looking for a new truck with taller ladder. My Mack is in pretty decent shape, but she's definitely been around the block since being delivered to the FDNY in 1973. I sent an e-mail to the Mack Museum, but I was curious if anyone had an info about my Mack - VIN is CF611FAP1557. 

My other question is...how do you fly the bucket? I used to volunteer and went through an aerial operators course, but I don't have the manual for the Baker scope and don't want to guess about how to send power to the hydraulics, etc.  

• Like 1

As a Retired FDNY Truck Company fireman, I have many years driving and operating that rig. Can you show some pictures of cab, drivers side should have a compartment to put the Outriggers and Jacks down, once you do that there was a push/pull valve to transfer power to the boom, some rigs had a switch at the pedestal so the Chauffeur could control the boom or flip the switch and control could be taken over by the bucket. There should also be a large gear which a 7/8 or 1 inch nut that you could turn manually to rotate the boom in the event of power loss. The should also be a MT##### on the front corner or in the cab that was our job's vehicle ID number. Not sure where you live but you could stop by the shops in Queens and they may be able to give you some records. Enjoy it, they were a hell of a lot of fun to use.....except in the middle of February at 3:00 am when it's zero out and you have an all night surround and drown operation. Best of luck with it.

Jimmy Retired FDNY T-54

it was originally Ladder 31.   Grundy was the 4th department to operate it.   It went in service as Ladder 31 on 6-25-73   replaced on 4-28-82 and made a spare.  disposed of in 1985.  bought out of the Navy Yard by Chesterfield County, VA.  then sold to Petersburg, VA then sold to Grundy VA.

the slanted cab roof was done by Baker at the refurb in 1985.

there is no shop number on the front drivers side corner of the rig.  that did not start until 1978.  They did put it in the cab though before then, either on the drivers door above the serial # plate, or up and behind the drivers head on the cab separation wall..  in 1978 it was standardized to be up there and on the cab front(and on the rear as well.)

WOW! Thanks for these pictures and that info! I'd like to do my best to return her to FDNY livery and these pictures are incredibly helpful. I don't know if I'll ever be able to find a straight cab canopy without having to buy a parts truck. Her Q is also long gone. 

Do you know how FDNY spec'd them? Right now I'm mostly interested in the lights and siren package. The coffin box that she currently has also looks different from what's in your photos...looks like she had one large pass through box mounted on top of the body, under the ladder. And originally no skidplate stowage under the front bumper.

Also, I won't share those photos, but as a heads up, I'm pretty sure I've seen the last one you shared posted online somewhere. I think on Instagram.  

Edit - FDNYTRUCKScom, to the extent that you're keeping track of where these trucks go, ex-Ladder 31 is now in Atlanta, Ga, enjoying the warm weather and retirement from the fire service. 

Edited by Dilbert120
adding more text

When you finally get the operators instructions follow the instructions about engine RPM in PTO. I think they call for 1200 RPM, make sure you run it at the required RPM. These trucks used a hydraulic system that is called "closed spool"  When you engage the PTO the hydraulic pump charges the system accumulator to the operating pressure, once the operating pressure is reached the pump unloads and fluid is returned to the inlet.

If the RPM is not high enough to reach operating pressure and unload the pump will dead head fluid and generate enough heat to burn the pump up in minutes.

This system makes some weird noises that if you are not used to them will scare the crap out of you, when the pump is charging the accumulator it sounds like it is loading down and getting ready to blow up.  When you retract the outriggers on a hard surface the entire truck will shake and growl, once you see how the outriggers work you will see why, they drag on the ground for several inches as the truck tires return to the ground.

Never be afraid to use the jacks and outriggers to lift the entire truck off the ground, run them till they are completely extended then put the pins and forks in. the outrigger pins are electrically  interlocked to the boom system and the boom will not operate in less properly pinned. Old systems used a solenoid  lockout on the boom/jack diverter, new/referbs used a hydraulic solenoid to divert fluid and do not have a boom/jack lever.

Only time you would not fully extend the jacks and outriggers is on a very uneven surface where you need to level the truck out. Leave that type of operation for the experienced  operator .  Last lesson for tonight, when the boom is swung 90 degree to the cab and fully extended either right or left the opposite side outrigger may float several inches above the ground, as long as the pins are in it's normal and the truck will not roll over but it is unnerving

It's a great truck, have fun with it

Thanks everyone for the great info! 

I have two more questions -

(1) how can you tell if the engine is original to the truck? I only drove her around the storage lot, so I didn't really get on the gas, but I didn't hear a turbo spool up. Did FDNY spec their CFs without a turbo? 

(2) there's a switch for "Engine Brake". It's not the wet road/dry road switch, but rather a toggle switch on the same panel as the emergency light switches. I don't hear the Jake brake sound when I get off the throttle, but I also didn't think that Mack's had a engine brake option. 

Link to pulling her out of the storage area - 

Edited by Dilbert120

Pull the engine cover off and look for the turbo.

When you have the cover off look at the valve covers, the jake brake has a 1" spacer between the head and valve cover. There should be an electrical connection to the passenger side of each spacer.

12 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

Pull the engine cover off and look for the turbo.

When you have the cover off look at the valve covers, the jake brake has a 1" spacer between the head and valve cover. There should be an electrical connection to the passenger side of each spacer.

Ok cool. Where is the engine ID located? And should it match the VIN? I know I'm asking a million questions here! 

Ok cool. Where is the engine ID located? And should it match the VIN? I know I'm asking a million questions here! 

There should be a tag on the passenger side of the engine. It is located on the block behind the injector pump and under the turbo

Have some rags and engine cleaner handy because it could be covered by a bunch of dirt and oil

• 3 years later...