New Discs for M917

41chevy

Trying to find suppler for new front rotors for my1979  M917 AM General 8x8. Has a Axle Tech PSC1764 Planetary steer axle,  55,000 rating. Calipers are Rockwell 9650, 2 per side.

What I need to locate is four 17" disc brake rotors. All things are pointing to military surplus vehicle shops for spares. I even tried Oshkosh and CCC. Oshkosh told me most do not have that heavy a steer.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

If Oshkosh did offer them to you Paul, their price would send you running. Why not buy NOS from a military vehicle surplus business?

Just a suggestion, call George at White Owl Parts Co. (252-522-2586) in Kinston, North Carolina and see what he says. Super guy, honest and knowledgeable.

• Like 2

Oshkosh was over 1500 each. I'll call White Owl but may have them Metal Sprayed and re-machine them in my shop.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

How does it bond to the base metal or brake rotor in this case?   I'm picturing molten grinding dust being sprayed to the rotor.    Does it build up to make a solid material? Or is it just a coating like its referred to in that link?

Condensed version

Long Version

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

I never heard of an M917* (AM General) with disc brakes. Also never heard/saw a M917A1 or A2 Freightliner with other than drum brakes.

* For those unfamiliar, this is the first generation AM General-produced M917.........http://www.oshkoshequipment.com/products/detail/2/2535/M917-20-Ton-8x6-Military-Dump-Truck-D-300-80#

4 minutes ago, Hobert62 said:

This is it?  Seems like a fairly simple process.  

Pretty much it. The short video I posted shows the different alloys involved to get the bond and hardness. You can do pretty much all from Cast Iron to Stainless

P.T.CHESHIRE

2 minutes ago, kscarbel2 said:

I never heard of an M917* (AM General) with disc brakes. Also never heard/saw a M917A1 or A2 Freightliner with other than drum brakes.

* For those unfamiliar, this is the first generation AM General-produced M917.........http://www.oshkoshequipment.com/products/detail/2/2535/M917-20-Ton-8x6-Military-Dump-Truck-D-300-80#

Mine is a non lift tri axle all planetary with a  powered steer. From what I got from it's history it is one of 15 modified for NASA. Weighs in a 35000 empty and 105000 GVW. 400 big cam through a 16 speed Cat auto to a low-hi-lo transfer case, all diffs have DCDL locks. 14Rx24 Double Coin Hi speed crane tires. Not really an on road truck but loaded with Granite jetty rock it only runs 3/4 to a mile loop from barge to dump area. I purchased from O.E.S. in Wisconsin 2 years ago, paid well into 5 figures for it for 3 specific contracts. Bought in Philly a M-870 transport trailer to move it from site to site also.

P.T.CHESHIRE

25 minutes ago, carlotpilot said:

we have done several open atmos.wire arc repairs on bridge beams, interesting process and seems to work very well

I had the crank for my 302 GMC six transfer welded so it could be ground off-center to give me 3/8 inch longer stroke. Only choice was the "spray weld" and re grind it as there was/is non of them around. Stood up well for years until a few rods left it.

P.T.CHESHIRE

4 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

I had the crank for my 302 GMC six transfer welded so it could be ground off-center to give me 3/8 inch longer stroke. Only choice was the "spray weld" and re grind it as there was/is non of them around. Stood up well for years until a few rods left it.

never heard of that trick but  i suppose it would work,  first diesel crank i watched being reworked  was an experience also .van norman  kota weld submerged arc welding machine  and combined grinder

On 8/20/2018 at 11:06 PM, 41chevy said:

Trying to find suppler for new front rotors for my1979  M917 AM General 8x8. Has a Axle Tech PSC1764 Planetary steer axle,  55,000 rating. Calipers are Rockwell 9650, 2 per side.

What I need to locate is four 17" disc brake rotors. All things are pointing to military surplus vehicle shops for spares. I even tried Oshkosh and CCC. Oshkosh told me most do not have that heavy a steer.

So you have an oddball truck, 1 of only 15 made with disc brakes.

And it does not have the standard M917 Rockwell axles, 20,000lb FDS-1807 front and 58,000kb SUHD bogey.

Any casting numbers on the rotors?  

I would call the folks at Axletech...877-877-9717 (a descendant of Rockwell International, the auto business was spun off forming Meritor). Axletech is small enough they might provide the materials list (BOM) for that order.

2 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

So you have an oddball truck, 1 of only 15 made with disc brakes.

And it does not have the standard M917 Rockwell axles, 20,000lb FDS-1807 front and 58,000kb SUHD bogey.

Any casting numbers on the rotors?  

I would call the folks at Axletech...877-877-9717 (a descendant of Rockwell International, the auto business was spun off forming Meritor). Axletech is small enough they might provide the materials list (BOM) for that order.

There may be numbers. It is a major job to get the planetary units off to remove the rotors so I really don't want to cripple it until I physically have the parts in hand.  I did call Axletech (three times) and got to play switch board chess until I was disconnected each time. 

I did call CCC in Oklahoma today since the CCC logo is on the grill surround. Gave them the info and they said they will have any information they have available for me by Friday.

Going to most likely slide in new pad sets and keep looking for rotors if push comes to shove.

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE