Neutral control?

I'm not sure the correct term, but does anyone know much about it. (I'm referring to the added piece on trans.) We have one on a winch truck. Whenever used it sometimes binds up, other times sounds like something isn't engaged all the way, and sometimes works great. When it binds or doesn't engage all of the way, I can clutch it and flip the button back and forth and get it to work right. Is there any adjustment on it or anything simple it could be.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Sounds like the PTO (Power take off).   The old ones were cable control, newer are electric or air.  There is a gear that meshes with the transmission to gives you power to your winch.  Likely not engaging fully.   I'm sure someone here will have more hands on information about it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Some cases the seal for the servo motor that engages and disengages the PTO goes bad and oil leaks into the servo motor which causes the motor to lose conductivity. That causes those issues , same as the electric shift two speed rears. .  Paul

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The only reason I didn't think it was a pto problem is because it actually has 2 winches and 2 pto's. It acts up with both winches. I should have stated that earlier. They are also air operated.

Do not engage both PTO's together as they can load up with them travelling @ different speed if under load

we also get gear jam when we have load on winch cable and gearbox is in gear

justl ike a 4x4 vehicle with different size tyres it makes it hard to shift out of 4x4 as the driven axles are under load to either shorten or length n the WB

cya

§wishy

• Like 1

Both ptos are engaged at times but not always. We talked to a guy who said we need to look into the range cylinder on the back of trans. I guess we'll just take it in. Thanks for the replies.

• 2 years later...

Old post are still read so I would like to comment and hope it helps someone in the future. Replace the shuttle valve part #25156277 , most likely it is hanging up when you flip your pto switch. It allows air to flow into the neutral lockout on rear of transmission. Not enough air or no air will keep drive line engaged. Thanks 

Edited by St.Elmo Diesel Repair