The new MP8HE engine...

I wish the engines would just get simpler to work on and maintain....

I was able to get some pictures of the only MP8HE engine coming down the grooming line at the Macungie plant on Saturday. For those that don't know, this is the engine option where the wasted heat energy from the turbo has a drive coupling back to the timing gears, producing more power and torque to the flywheel.

They had to redesign the cab mounts and shave the RS cab mount plate just to get this thing under the cab.  

I will let time and the marketplace determine if this engine option is a success or not.  I'm not looking forward to having to work on it when the time comes. The Volvo version which I've only seen 2 in use so far, has a little more room to work on.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=a8b8d98f5855eef7

20180616_121937.jpg

20180616_121908.jpg

20180616_121946.jpg

Edited by bbigrig

I like IT:rolleyes:! Get rid of the piece of crap bolted to the back of the turbo And now you got an EGR Valve that's easily  accessible you can actually see what your working on Beauty ! :rolleyes: Oh you say you can only buy it with the crap behind the turbo? Dam!

• Haha 1

what's old is new again.....

power recovery turbines were used by Curtiss Wright on their radial aircraft engine the R-3350... used primarily on the Douglas DC-7 and Lockheed Super Constellation airliners, three PRT's used exhaust flow to transfer power to the crankshaft raising power from about 2800hp up to 3500hp.... recent adaptations in air racing with nitrous has seen 4500hp...

and no EGR valve...!!!

BC Mack

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2018 at 4:01 PM, bbigrig said:

I wish the engines would just get simpler to work on and maintain....

And I wish that fuel was unlimited and 10c a gallon, and that diesel engines sprewed out unicorn dust and rainbows out the exhaust - but we all know that's not going to happen.

Actually capturing waste heat is a really interesting idea.  Everything from light bulbs to engines are inefficient in that most of the energy produced is waste heat. If they can figure out how to recapture that energy it might really improve fuel economy.  BTW, I read about a local hotel that captures the waste heat of the water that goes down their drain.