Selectair Valve Rebuild Kit:

Rob

I've got this kit to rebuild the air selector on the shifter for my Mack 10 speed. There are no instructions and it is very easy to accomplish.

Does anyone know what the stuff in the green tube is for? It does not smell like any type of solvent, and does not appear to be a lubricant. One end of the tube is for placing a drop like a precision oiler, the other just a large hole in the end of the tube. The white tube is silicone grease for the "O" rings.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Being an old Navy man you should know what that is.

We had a couple of guys in the Navy that could have probably used it as such.

All these years I have thought the one was pissing in the others' ass cause his guts were on fire.

Yes, I am a former squid.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Well, it is as plane as the nose on your face. It is an automatic lubricator for the rudder angle indicator on a cross country alligator. At least that's what my friend Rob Ware says. But, he was a submariner, and you know that they would say anything.

Yes but you've got to watch those aviation pukes, (like me) also. Good bunch of guys above, and below the waves.

I rebuilt the "Selectair" valve this evening after cleaning everything up using denatured alcohol and the "lube in a tube", (Navy term) to lubricate the new "O" rings and moving parts, All went back together just fine. It would still leak past the seals when the transmission was selected to reverse. Further T/S revealed the QR-1 valve on the transmission was defective, and I replaced the same with a new one on hand. The transmission now works flawlessly.

Went out onto the road this eveing and ran to just about 60mph. Gonna have to get some new tires as these are out of round terrible from sitting so long. Stomping on the brake pedal hard will skid all ten tires easily. With the front limiting valve in the "on" position, the steer axle will not skid with the brake pedal floorboarded. Under hard braking, or panic stop, there is no pull to either side. The "grabbing" is completely gone now and the brakes are dependable, and predictable.

All in all I'm happy. Now that this last problem seems to be conquered, think I'll pull the trans to either replace the clutch assy., or see if anything cab be done about the noise when the clutch pedal is depressed, along with replace, or adjust the clutch brake.

Never did find out what the green stuff was; Maybe an "O" ring conditioner?

Rob

Yes but you've got to watch those aviation pukes, (like me) also. Good bunch of guys above, and below the waves.

I rebuilt the "Selectair" valve this evening after cleaning everything up using denatured alcohol and the "lube in a tube", (Navy term) to lubricate the new "O" rings and moving parts, all went back together just fine. It would still leak past the seals when the transmission was selected to reverse. Further T/S revealed the QR-1 valve on the transmission was defective, and I replaced the same with a new one on hand. The transmission now works flawlessly.

Went out onto the road this eveing and ran to just about 60mph. Gonna have to get some new tires as these are out of round terrible from sitting so long. Stomping on the brake pedal hard will skid all ten tires easily. With the front limiting valve in the "on" position, the steer axle will not skid with the brake pedal floorboarded. Under hard braking, or panic stop, there is no pull to either side. The "grabbing" is completely gone now and the brakes are dependable, and predictable.

All in all I'm happy. Now that this last problem seems to be conquered, think I'll pull the trans to either replace the clutch assy., or see if anything cab be done about the noise when the clutch pedal is depressed, along with replace, or adjust the clutch brake.

Rob

the noise you hear with the clutch down if not the thro out brg will be center plate rattle and want hurt nothing. glenn

glenn akers

the noise you hear with the clutch down if not the thro out brg will be center plate rattle and want hurt nothing. glenn

Hi Glenn, I agree. This one is just as loud as the other R model and can be felt through the clutch linkage into your foot.

Is there any way to replace just the center plate, and driving dogs without the complete assembly? I've never seen the center plate sold separately myself.

Thanks,

Rob

I rebuilt the "Selectair" valve this evening after cleaning everything up using denatured alcohol and the "lube in a tube", (Navy term) to lubricate the new "O" rings and moving parts, All went back together just fine. It would still leak past the seals when the transmission was selected to reverse. Further T/S revealed the QR-1 valve on the transmission was defective, and I replaced the same with a new one on hand. The transmission now works flawlessly.

Rob

ask Rob, he knows-oh,wait-you are Rob...uh...nevermind. my bad :rolleyes:

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Where did Rob go?....... He left with no reply....... that's not like him. Oh well, he must have had a honey do list pitched at him or went back to the house.

mike B)

...and still nothing-no snappy comeback. Totally unlike Rob, now i'm worried about his well being.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.