My crossmembers are damaged, so I wanted to steal one out of a parts truck...of course, the spring hanger/crossmember bolts were rusted and seized but good. They also hide one bolt in each hanger behind the leaf springs so you can't get a socket on it. Then, after I got the bolts all out, the springs were squeezing in on the frame so I had to lift the rails out of the hangers to get the crossmember out. This was a full day's job to get these things out! Notice the frame rail torch cut--someone added a Neway air bag axle years ago and they butt welded the frame rails as well as doubling them. I cut the rails behind the weld so if this frame gets used, it can be cut at the correct spot.

190.jpg

191.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Rob said:

Seems vaguely familiar, in fact conjuring up old memories from the frozen locker..... Lots of torsional stresses in a truck frame you don't see until breaking it into component parts. I usually spread frame rails with a couple of 10 ton portapower units or a single 20 dependent upon task at hand to remove/replace xmembers. Looks like a real "cobble" job on the frame in the past from this vantage point but it obviously served the purpose over several years. That "twist" is easily relieved with a couple of towers and heat on the frame rack. Never a fan of "butt" welding truck frames unless linered or full pen welds are applied. I have a bevel machine that simplifies the task a bit:

As example on a piece of structural channel:

That axle uses the same spring hangers mine did originally.

That looks like a handy tool! Speaking of frame rails, I remember reading years ago when Jim Etters built Papa Thermodyne, he had the rails shot peened to relieve stress. Does anybody know if sandblasting does the same thing, or do you have to use a certain kind of shot to do this?

How the whole frame work is going on?

Currently I'm tinkering with the idea to fabricate a pair of new Neway crossmembers for my R-model. They're are simple of their shape and could be cut and bent of thick sheet matel in a metal shop. Suppose that would be better than using the original ones which have terrible rust spread. And also i could do a part of prep job on the frame before finally parting out the truck.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

22 hours ago, Vladislav said:

How the whole frame work is going on?

Currently I'm tinkering with the idea to fabricate a pair of new Neway crossmembers for my R-model. They're are simple of their shape and could be cut and bent of thick sheet matel in a metal shop. Suppose that would be better than using the original ones which have terrible rust spread. And also i could do a part of prep job on the frame before finally parting out the truck.

The frame rails are waiting while I'm stealing parts off of my donor trucks. Next I'll rebuild the differentials, get components cleaned and painted, reseal the engine, etc.

• Like 1