E-9 Oil out the breather

Plowboy

Have a '85 RW with an E9 I recently bought. The story I got was that the engine was replaced with a Mack crate motor around 1994, and the truck was used very little, maybe 10,000 total miles since then. I'm getting a lot of oil out the breather, underside of the truck gets wet with oil. What does everyone think? What are my options?

There are two issues that you may have being major engine work was done a short mileage ago but 26 years ago. The first is that the baffle was not put back into the valley to keep oil from going out the breather tube. That would be an EZ fix. Provided there is not a lot of blow-by that can be the problem as well.  There should be very little air/vapor coming out of the tube in the first place with a "new" engine. If there is a lot of blow-by it can only be one thing, piston rings and possible liners. But a lot can happen in 26 years of basically sitting around. Is oil fresh? Good oil pressure? Is power good? Need some more information to narrow it down. 

• Like 1

Engine has a Dynatard, recent oil change with good oil pressure and good power. No wet stacking, runs and sounds good. Has a little vapor out the breather. The original owner told me he had his local Mack dealer put in the crate motor complete because the original had cracks in heads.

up here the guys with oil leaks are the only ones without a salt eroded frame. Ironic benefit. 

If it checked over for blow-by and stuff mentioned above, and it still lost oil, I would mount a free standing coalescing filter in-line with the road draft. The filter would have to be able to have enough CFM capacity. Liehberr makes a really good free standing oil coalescing filter with a spring loaded air bypass for when the motor gets sloppy. So you could never blow a seal from back pressure cause by “thick” oil on gauze element. 

Good luck!

There is a Vague possibility that the turbo can cause this issue if there is little blow by At Idle ! W eve had few turbos  over the years let gas by the shaft seal into the base !  Mainly on ETeck Ai and AC engines under hard pull conditions,  However  there is no reason why this can't happen on the  v8 as well !

Col 1.pdf

col 2.pdf

This is the breakdown you requested. I priced out the complete 10136800 at $281.94. They upsized the coalescence capacity due to new engines created high draft CFM. Seems cheesey, but these engines (new) have the road draft equivalent of a hair dryer when under power. They upsized and added a sprung pop-off valve on the bottom of the gauze filter due to high draft.   

Edited by Mack Technician