Insurance in VA for Private Trucks

glitchwrks

What's everyone doing for insurance on non-CDL trucks, specifically in VA? I had a Geico Commercial (really National Indemnity) policy until we sold off the last of our big trucks, which I kind of hated -- expensive, long hold times on the phone, and they were always screwing up the automatic bill pay resulting in a pink slip in the mail. Looking to find insurance for that MS200P I'll be buying, 25K GVW. Everything hauled will be owned strictly by me, not for hire. Probably won't do even 10K miles a year as most of it will be local, but I do go to upstate NY now and then.

A lot of the guys use use Gulfway out of Hudson Fla if they are pulling a trailer. I have my antique thru State Farm with my other vehicles, but I am not sure how they are on hauling stuff as I do not have anything that big.. With State Farm you have to shop around for an agent who does commercial/antique work.. Most of them think a 3500 dually is a LARGE CAR!!

Brocky

Got a quote from the local agent for $490/year -- apparently in VA they can't write it up as anything other than business if you don't have antique plates on it. It probably actually works out better that way since I can then haul the occasional customer order instead of paying freight if the customer wants me to. The $490/year is for $500K in liability and a typical radius of operation of 200 miles, but the agent says the occasional trip anywhere in the US is covered. Much better than Geico/NICO who was about 4x that amount per year for $150K liability and limited to the specified radius of travel!

It looks like we can definitely do a lower rate if we want to put antique plates on a truck at some point. My wife would love to eventually have a B-series Mack fixed up for mostly show purposes so we'll likely encounter the need for antique big truck insurance at some point.

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:46 AM, glitchwrks said:

What's everyone doing for insurance on non-CDL trucks, specifically in VA? I had a Geico Commercial (really National Indemnity) policy until we sold off the last of our big trucks, which I kind of hated -- expensive, long hold times on the phone, and they were always screwing up the automatic bill pay resulting in a pink slip in the mail. Looking to find insurance for that MS200P I'll be buying, 25K GVW. Everything hauled will be owned strictly by me, not for hire. Probably won't do even 10K miles a year as most of it will be local, but I do go to upstate NY now and then.

Whether your load is owned by you does not matter. Even if you are not for hire does not matter. If the truck is used to transport for business purposes, it is commercial and insurance is expensive. Also, in VA and probably all states, you cannot haul commercial with antique plates.

Yeah, I'd been planning on only hauling my own hobby hardware (antique engines, vintage computers -- the big ones!) but since I have to have a full commercial policy anyway in VA I should be good to go if I do decide to use the truck for business work.

I'll have to run over to the DMV some time this week and get plates. Planning on asking the DMV counter person about DOT numbers. I'm pretty sure I need them if I'm going to go out of state with the truck.

Over 26K licensing you will and a logbook. Under that and you'll probably have no problems.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

My GVWR is 25K, previous owner had it registered at 22.5K -- supposedly VA goes by your registered weight but I know other states go by the GVWR, so I should be good in either case. It's unclear to me from the VA DOT and FMCSA where exactly I fit in on the rules and regulations. Not sure if I'll need to scale, carry a medical card, etc. I figure the DMV should be able to answer questions like that. I always scaled with the NPR-HD I had (14.5K GVWR) but always got green-lighted through bypass.