B Model air cleaner change over

I am hoping that someone has already done this so I don't have to start from scratch. I would like to change my original air filter can (oil bath) over to a paper element. Is there a kit? Or do I just yard out the guts and fab up can for the element? I have a 1965 B53.

IMG_1984.thumb.JPG.7849bccfd29e0593865e7fc7bd7d938e.JPG

Going to a dry element, I would modify what you have.  An oil bath filter is a very efficient system.  It is a little more maint. but works very well at trapping dirt.

Here is an option from Watt's.

http://www.wattstruckcenter.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_72&product_id=397

I used a dry filter salvaged from an old R model on my B-75 which had no filter when I got it.  It is a little tall and would have to be cut down for a B-53.  

B75 air 1.JPG

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I agree with the part about the oil bath being the superior method for filtering and cleaning the intake air. The only reason the industry changed over to dry element replacement filters is speed and ease of maintenance when maintaining entire fleets of trucks.

Think about it, what's the difference in time between servicing an oil bath filter vs. replacement filter? Five minutes? If you're servicing 100 trucks, that five minutes is now 8.5 hours, an entire day's worth of labor. That's why truck manufacturers switched.

For the person with just one truck, the extra five minutes doesn't matter, which is why I've left the oil bath filter on my B61.

That is not the case.  Diesel locomotives with massive turbo's run oil bath air cleaners.  Trucks had turbo's and oil bath air cleaners back in the day.

Ease of maint. with dry filters plus being able to mount a dry filter housing in any position pretty much killed the oil bath off for trucks.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.