Any Scania experts here?

Outbehindthebarn

I've developed a strong curiosity for these trucks after seeing so many of them on my trip to South America, but it doesn't seem as though I can locate a good informative website for them.

From what I understand, the 11 liter six cylinder was the staple of the company for a long time. But I'm wondering if the output ratings were similar to Mack in that the 237 was essentially the same as a 350.

And what the nomenclature stood for.... following the series number HS, HW, H, M, etc.

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

2 hours ago, Outbehindthebarn said:

I've developed a strong curiosity for these trucks after seeing so many of them on my trip to South America, but it doesn't seem as though I can locate a good informative website for them.

From what I understand, the 11 liter six cylinder was the staple of the company for a long time. But I'm wondering if the output ratings were similar to Mack in that the 237 was essentially the same as a 350.

And what the nomenclature stood for.... following the series number HS, HW, H, M, etc.

I'm not altogether clear what you're asking, but I can tell you the DC12 and DT12 in most markets have been replaced by the DC13.

Scania uses prefix and suffix letter(s) around a three digit numeric core

for instance 112 would be 11 litre, series 2

suffix examples.. the 'H' was for high cab, M for medium

I did a Wiki and got a page in Spanish, so I translated it to see why those suffix letters you listed didn't make sense to me and it would appear it is the South American coding is a little different to Europe...

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scania

The Series 2 marked the debut of the new cabins, the first T 112M and 112H and 142M and 142H trucks had the front (and bonnet) lower than the Intercooler.

The power was 333 hp for the 11-liter engine with intercooler and 305 hp for the engine without intercooler. The 112M and 142M launched in 1982, had the same engine as the 111 and 141, respectively, were soon released the 112H and 142H (1982-1986). Scania with factory intercoolers only came in 1985, with the launch of the 112H, the famous "gray belt", in 1987, the 30th anniversary in Brazil, appears the front of the hood of Super Advanced, and put it next to Nomenclature of the model becoming 112HS (1987-1989), later was released the model 112HW (1989-1991), which already had two engine options with 310 or 360 horsepower. In the 14-liter V8 engine the power ranged from 375 horsepower (without intercooler) to 411 horsepower (with intercooler) at 142.

When the Series 2 was launched, the V8 engine came with new power: 388 hp, it was made available in the T-cab in T142 H, T142 HS and T142 HW (4x2, 6x2), T142 E T142ES and T142 EW (6x4) versions. The "R" cabin (old LK) was also available with a V8 engine, being R142 H, R142 HS and R142 HW (4x2, 6x2), R142E, R142ES and R142 EW (6x4).

google is your friend.. LOL

in the good old days all I wanted to see was "141".... as I climbed in the cab...  mmmmmmmm

BC Mack

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BC Mack said:

Scania uses prefix and suffix letter(s) around a three digit numeric core

for instance 112 would be 11 litre, series 2

suffix examples.. the 'H' was for high cab, M for medium

I did a Wiki and got a page in Spanish, so I translated it to see why those suffix letters you listed didn't make sense to me and it would appear it is the South American coding is a little different to Europe...

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scania

The Series 2 marked the debut of the new cabins, the first T 112M and 112H and 142M and 142H trucks had the front (and bonnet) lower than the Intercooler.

The power was 333 hp for the 11-liter engine with intercooler and 305 hp for the engine without intercooler. The 112M and 142M launched in 1982, had the same engine as the 111 and 141, respectively, were soon released the 112H and 142H (1982-1986). Scania with factory intercoolers only came in 1985, with the launch of the 112H, the famous "gray belt", in 1987, the 30th anniversary in Brazil, appears the front of the hood of Super Advanced, and put it next to Nomenclature of the model becoming 112HS (1987-1989), later was released the model 112HW (1989-1991), which already had two engine options with 310 or 360 horsepower. In the 14-liter V8 engine the power ranged from 375 horsepower (without intercooler) to 411 horsepower (with intercooler) at 142.

When the Series 2 was launched, the V8 engine came with new power: 388 hp, it was made available in the T-cab in T142 H, T142 HS and T142 HW (4x2, 6x2), T142 E T142ES and T142 EW (6x4) versions. The "R" cabin (old LK) was also available with a V8 engine, being R142 H, R142 HS and R142 HW (4x2, 6x2), R142E, R142ES and R142 EW (6x4).

google is your friend.. LOL

in the good old days all I wanted to see was "141".... as I climbed in the cab...  mmmmmmmm

BC Mack

We've changed the designation system quite a bit.

This PDF link shows what BC is speaking of..............https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjpzdTGnv_RAhUF04MKHfsxD54QFggaMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftil.scania.com%2Fidcplg%3FIdcService%3DGET_FILE%26dID%3D229035%26dDocName%3DDIS_0000087_18%26allowInterrupt%3D1&usg=AFQjCNEczAahURKW-znx_i8BeD1BSe_3Ew&bvm=bv.146496531,bs.2,d.eWE&cad=rjt

KSC,

I knew you would find some company document... I was just a little confused by the question, maybe I'll have to go hunting in South America for my elusive restoration project 141, prices in EU are outrageous... and if it was parked next to a non rusty F89, well, that would make my day... :thumb:

BC Mack

• Like 1

The 11 liter was available in 310-380 form.... from what I've seen. was this a simple fuel setting/turbo/intercooler spec?

and the nomenclature ... the letters following the series numbers, the suffix.. they had an abundance of them it appears. I couldn't find a comprehensive list anywhere on them. thanks for the link.

There are many many 141's in South America. Most are rust free. prices aren't too bad with currency exchange, but shipping of course makes it very complicated. 

30 minutes ago, Outbehindthebarn said:

The 11 liter was available in 310-380 form.... from what I've seen. was this a simple fuel setting/turbo/intercooler spec?

and the nomenclature ... the letters following the series numbers, the suffix.. they had an abundance of them it appears. I couldn't find a comprehensive list anywhere on them. thanks for the link.

There are many many 141's in South America. Most are rust free. prices aren't too bad with currency exchange, but shipping of course makes it very complicated. 

The 10.6-litre DC 11 was last offered in Euro-3 emissions at 340 (DC11 08 340) and 380 (DC11 09 380) horsepower.

When Scania offered the 2-Series (and later 3-Series) conventionals in the US market, they were powered by the 308 horsepower (DSC11 06) and 341 horsepower (DSC11 03).

On 8/6/2017 at 10:21 PM, kscarbel2 said:

The 10.6-litre DC 11 was last offered in Euro-3 emissions at 340 (DC11 08 340) and 380 (DC11 09 380) horsepower.

When Scania offered the 2-Series (and later 3-Series) conventionals in the US market, they were powered by the 308 horsepower (DSC11 06) and 341 horsepower (DSC11 03).

What sort of emissions controls did the DC11 receive? I'm not familiar with the Euro tiers.... The DC11 was built as a fully electronic controlled engine then?

I had understood the DC14 to be offered in a manual/electronic hybrid sort of like the PEEK Cat motors.

And while I'm on the subject, was the 16 liter designed with an EGR valve from the beginning?662-2.jpg

7 hours ago, Outbehindthebarn said:

What sort of emissions controls did the DC11 receive? I'm not familiar with the Euro tiers.... The DC11 was built as a fully electronic controlled engine then?

I had understood the DC14 to be offered in a manual/electronic hybrid sort of like the PEEK Cat motors.

And while I'm on the subject, was the 16 liter designed with an EGR valve from the beginning?

Nothing meaningful for emissions controls in the 1980s. Euro-1 didn't take effect until 1992.

• 2 years later...

Just a couple of additions to what has been said previously. The M, H and E suffix to the model number of the 2 series had nothing to do with the cab, it related to the chassis gauge and axle ratings, M being medium Scania wouldn't have wanted to say light, this was for normal highway use and came with a 11500kg (25300lb) drive axle, H was heavy and had a heavier frame and a 13000kg (28600lb) drive and E or extra heavy was for serious heavy haul with 16000kg (35200lb) drive often in tandem for double drive. Don't forget in Europe we don't use 6x4 like in North America, the Swedes run at 70tonnes (154,000lbs) on 7 axles on ice roads still with single drive.

The DS11 ranged from 280bhp to 380bhp, the last one being partly electronic using the Bosch EDC system, it's not true to say the others varied only by pump setting, many made this mistake and learnt the expensive way. Don't forget that Scania, in fact all European made engines of this period, used installed output figures so roughly 20-30 less than the same unit measured to US standards of the time.

On 8/8/2017 at 10:40 AM, Outbehindthebarn said:

And while I'm on the subject, was the 16 liter designed with an EGR valve from the beginning?662-2.jpg

I want that in a new International!!  I wonder if we will start seeing any of this Scania goodness in the Internationals as they move forward in this merger?