I think i know the answer to this one but I was thrown off a bit.

On Friday my truck started fine.  Drove it to the landfill and had to wait for them to open.  Shut the truck off, listened to the radio for a half hour.  I try to start the truck and it goes "click".  no start but i have 12-13 volts.  So the solenoid clicks every time i turn the key.  I figured she should at least crank given the voltage.  The landfill guys hook me up to their charger and she starts right up.  So today (Sunday) I get in the truck and same thing just a click.  I clean off the battery terminals and a few more clicks, but then she started. 

Batteries are 5 years old.  They re coming out tomorrow.   Shouldn't it start given the voltage? Do I have a solenoid problem too and not just a battery problem?

Truck is  98 ch613 W/427.

Thanks in advance

Had a similar problem with my truck this winter.  Batteries were less that a year old but the truck is ten years old.  Cables, connectors and everything looked good.  Cleaned grounding points and replaced a ground  cable end.  Nothing helped.  Finally found out that the voltage was dropping through the cables while starting.  Cut the cables open and many of the wires inside were broken or melted open, many looked like they just rotted off.  Wires are about the size of hair.  Replaced battery cables, problem solved.  

Batteries may be on their way out.  Even if you have the volts, without amps (electrical power) may not have the grunt to start.  

Considering that cleaning the connections got it going, you probably should double check and clean the connections at the starter as well.  If there are signs of corrosion growing out of the battery cables, they should be replaced.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

the 05 granite did that. 13.5 volts, but big CLICK, then nothing when key turned. ended up being a bad battery. when a load was put on it, it would short out 2 cells dropping voltage across all 4 batteries. 

finally did a load test on the batteries and found the bad one. put a new one in and had no more problems with it for the 3 years we had it. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

My truck started doing the same thing yesterday.  The guy who works on truck came out and gave me a pull to start it.  Thought that was pretty good service. Most would say get a $500 tow to the shop.  Started up this morning, no problem.  Tried to leave it run all day but idiot driver shut it off to fuel and wouldn't start.  Friend at truck stop said he would give me a pull, got back in truck and started right up.

What is the difference between welding cables and battery cables?  Had a guy tell me welding cables have many fine wires and battery cables have heavier guage wires in them.  He claimed the welder cables fail sooner when used on trucks or equipment.