1988RD 2070 transmission clutch brake and clutch adjustment

Casper1988

Question

Is there a way to change out the clutch brake without taking the tranny out. Took the cover off today at the bottom of the bell and was looking at what I believe to be a nasty clutch brake and the throw out bearing holder. My truck is not wanting to get into gear all that great from neutral. Figured I would replace the brake and adjust the clutch which I have know  clue how to do. Need some advice. I will be changing out this tranny at some point but not soon. Thanks

16 answers to this question

With lots of grease and oil I will pass on the torch option. Not sure how you would keep it still to use the impact tool. How about a cheap long 1/2" extension with a groove ground into it to twist the old brake in two. I did see the two piece brake from Haldex. Looks like a fun job!!

Looks like the torch will be the quickest, saw some posts on you tube last night. I have a small tip for the cutting torch and will have a hose on hand and some damp rags placed in there strategically. Kinda like welding in the belly pan of the skidder, a go for it moment.

7 minutes ago, Casper1988 said:

Looks like the torch will be the quickest, saw some posts on you tube last night. I have a small tip for the cutting torch and will have a hose on hand and some damp rags placed in there strategically. Kinda like welding in the belly pan of the skidder, a go for it moment.

keep us posted how it goes.    terry:D

The Babcock (inventor,original)  2 piece clutch brake is not too bad of a job to install. Did a few of them myself. Messy yes,but beats pulling a trans by a longshot!  Al  

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

finally got a chance to look and would say that my smallest 3" right angle cut off is out and torches ain't for me so I am driving over to a friends shop to take it out with an air chisel an some sharp auto body tools. It sure is a miserable spot to get into.Hopefully it will all be over by noon.

Got it out with air chisel, it was no fun but the job is done. The hardened steel collar riding on the input shaft had a hard rockwell point as it dulled tools quickly. I would do another the same way, just to much oiley residue for my liking for torches. The two piece went in slick and really made a world of difference from N getting it in gear. Thanks all.

IMG_20170709_124209340.jpg

• Like 1

Oh ya, what is correct pedal play and measurement from brake clutch to the throw out face. Is it 1/2". Mine has 1 1/2" pedal and just under 1/2" at brake and throw out . I do see how to adjust the clutch. Mine has the bolt you press in and turn either way to get the correct measurement.

Well, I will try to be descriptive. I must be doing something wrong . Can't seem to get that 1/2 to 5/8 " brake clutch clearance. I undo the 3/4 " wrench lock nut and turn the square head bolt clockwise and nothing happens ( it is bottomed out, locknut back as far as I can get it. ). It stays at 3/8" space. could the first sleeve on the cross shaft be maxed in the half moon which it is preventing any movement, do I need to pull that and move it a few notches on the cross shaft so when turning the square head bolt I get some movement and that will give me my 1/2" spacing. That half moon piece has a 9/16 head on it that locks the two halves together on the cross shaft. I am a little dyslexic so its kinda confusing down under there. I have the free play on the pedal at 1 1/2" to 2", that was easily done by turning the adjusting bolt clockwise on the psi plate. Need some help here, need to deliver wood but don't want to tear up my new clutch brake. I can only push the pedal to about three inches from the floor, Thats no good, like to have that be one inch and if the space was 1/2" that would be maybe right. Thanks all, 

The adjusting bolt with the square head needs back off to let the pedal down.You need about 1/2 to 1" of brake.Some times you do have to remove the lever and index it in another spline.But if you get the brake set to 1/2" then set the pressure plate to were you have 1/2" clearance between the clutch brake disc and the trans brg retainer.If the linkage has not been messed with you should end up with a 1 1/2 free play at the top.

glenn akers

Glenn, I spent some time this a.m. and realized the arm was frozen up, pb blaster and a hammer. Got around 9/16 's at the clutch brake and 1 1/2 or a little better clutch pedal play . The test drive was good and going into first or reverse form N was very smooth. Had to let the pedal off the floor just a smidgen a couple of times then it slipped right in with no grinding. I will have this all apart at sometime when I switch to the thirteen speed and put in a new clutch, etc. Thanks. 

Edited by Casper1988
repost
  • Like 2