CRD73 wheel seal

beatngu

56 minutes ago, theakerstwo said:

Look on the seal

agreed...... best way, if the right one was already installed...!!!

I replaced mine last year, checking my notes didn't show where I got my info from but here it is anyway..

1993 if it matters, 44k, crd 92/93

88AX405    SKF 42672    I got the Scotseal

there are websites of suppliers that can give you dimensions and visuals, just google your axle and "seal"

HTH

BC Mack

Edited by BC Mack

as terry says... try a heel bar, be careful if you use a steel punch which can damage, 2x4 or big dowel would work too...

if you can find an installation tool that would make life easier

don't forget to pack the bearing with a bit of grease, they need that until the lube oil eventually gets there, you can tilt the axle to help flow or drive opposite wheel up on a mound, then recheck diff level.

any oil get on the linings?

BC Mack

IMG_7472.JPG

• Like 1

Yes the linings look to be soaked I read up on some remedies. One being brake clean and a propane torch. But someone loaned me the appropriate tool and came out pretty easy. Got a good part number so next week it can go back together. Is there a torque spec for the large spindle nuts and axle shaft bolts?

I don't have torque specs for you... I use 45 years of judgement which means I tighten nuts up until my elbow clicks..!!! LOL

minor surface oil, yes, brake clean them and sandpaper... if totally soaked I don't bother with the old wives tales, unless dollars are very tight just buy an exchange set of linings checking the other side too... of course with things mechanical this can open up a can of worms if the drums are out of spec so I will leave it for others to offer you cleaning remedies.

BC Mack

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get torqued up right?  Supposed to be 200 to seat the seal and bearing then back off full turn torque to 50 ft lbs while turning the wheel then back off 1/4 turn and check slop. .001 to .005 then lock washer then outer nut to 300 to 400 ft pounds for dowel style or 200 to 275 for tang style 

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."