What type of oil ?

I am changing out oil in the rears of my 1988 R Model. It has 44 rears. What is a the weight oil and are there any reasons for using one over the other. Assuming this is 80-90 weight oil. Looks like two areas to fill and then just check the bottom level plug is what I am gathering from folks for routine checks. Is it true oil on the bottom gets thrown up to lubricate the top. Thanks.

You can use grade GO-H 80W-90 or GO-H/S 75W-90. There is a drain plug and fill plug on the power divider. There is a drain and fill plug for the bevel gears on the carrier and there is a drain and fill for the axle housing.  Fill top and bottom to the respective fill line.  The bottom sprays oil to the top while in operation.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

These are pipe plugs that are in real good on the bevel and divider. A 3/8's  ratchet end on the pot. Drained about 3 gallons out of each pot, does that seem right. Haven't opened up the others as I need 8 point sockets for the plugs before I resort to a small pipe wrench to get them.

5 hours ago, Casper1988 said:

Went and bought Mack oil yesterday and did the job. Those plugs were really in there tight.The Mack oil was 75$ a 5/gal pail and looked good. stuff that came out was nasty. Thanks all for the replies.

Another Happy Rear End............. job.     :D

• Like 2

On 4/2/2017 at 6:17 PM, hatcity said:

three gallons sounds about right.

just DO NOT use synthetic oil

Hatcity, have you had problems will synthetic

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

6 minutes ago, GreenGiant2 said:

Hatcity, have you had problems will synthetic

no...but unless you clean EVERYTHING real good...its not good to mix synthetic with fossil

seeing that he has an 88, would assume he has fossil in there

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian