ED serial number decode

Not really. Mack built the ED from 1938 to 1944 and built 2,686 units during that time. Obviously, the lower the chassis number the earlier it was built. Your best bet is to get the number and e-mail the museum to see if they can take the time to check the production list for your chassis number.

Here is a link to a pretty good story on the ED's. http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/12/looking-back-1938-mack-ed-pickup-truck.html

Bottom line is that the production year is really not that relevant. An ED is and ED and when it was built doesn't affect the value. 

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I have a 39 and it has a wood framed cab where as my 40 is all metal. The 39 also has an air compressor and appears to have been a factory service truck. Interesting that the article mentions that most all know about the Reo made Mack Jr but not the ED. Years ago it seemed we all knew about ED's but nothing about the Jr. When I went to spot a Mack pickup I was told sat in the brush in 1988 and it said Mack Jr I had no idea what it was. There was very little about Jr's  at that time but the ED was well known in the Mack circles.

• Like 2

I agree with Jim, I have had several people want to argue about my truck being an ED rather than a DE of which both Jim and I own. I was talking with a guy a couple of months ago at the Keystone Tractor Museum about small Mack trucks and showed in a photo of mine and he told me it was a ED and was determined he was right. If you argue with ignorance you are whipped from the beginning