Freightrain to the Blue Oval Phone

41chevy

Back when nailhead buicks were still plentiful.

Funny story.  Machine shop I use did a nailhead a few years ago.   They guy put it in a '87 Buick Grand National!!  Don't really think it was a GNX, but just a clone.  He wanted to be different.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Freightrain, in the fifties and sixties when we had the salvage yard, we couldn't give away nailhead  Buick engines ! They never wear out! We scrapped all but a couple! Most were 264 and 322. I drove a 55 century and my dad drove a 56 special he had rebuilt from a rollover. I took my drivers test on a 50 straight eight my dad bought new. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, grayhair said:

This is photo from a magazine cover, but you get the idea.  It was called "Showboat."  Pretty outrageous machine.

ivo_cover.jpg

Ivo ran it reincranted as the Wagon Master

Galpen Fords 4 engine Mustang.

WagonmasterFront34Color.jpg.98799cac1fd734907972ac249985d635.jpg

smIMG_7463.jpg.18ea29bc94502f33c612ce5cb75aacac.jpg

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Freightrain, in the fifties and sixties when we had the salvage yard, we couldn't give away nailhead  Buick engines ! They never wear out! We scrapped all but a couple! Most were 264 and 322. I drove a 55 century and my dad drove a 56 special he had rebuilt from a rollover. I took my drivers test on a 50 straight eight my dad bought new. 

On 3/22/2017 at 6:41 PM, 41chevy said:

Mine is 2.7 DOHC Ford Fusion Block set up for Methanol. Using a 8 plug cross flow head, using eight injectors with a 4 stage NOx running 40 to 50 of staged boost through a chill cooled intercooler,, vari lift cam, crankcase vacuum pump and Aires 9 to 1 compression pistons. Block and head girdles,ARP Studs and modified for cross bolted mains.

That, Sir, is completely outrageous.

On 3/22/2017 at 6:09 PM, BillyT said:

Most of those multi engine drag cars didn't quite run as well as hoped for! I guess you gotta make up for all that extra weight! 

Yeah, but they're the cat's ass for land speed racing.  Four engines worked well for the Summers Brothers., 4 Chrysler hemis, normally aspirated.  Went 409 mph in the '60s and their record stood for 40+ years.  Incredible that the brothers built their car in the shade of their parents So. California fruit stand.  Later got some sophisticated help with an engineer and a wind tunnel but nonetheless a truly incredible accomplishment by these guys.  I remember reading a few years ago that the car was being restored and was going to the Henry Ford museum.  Here's an old photo and link to a write-up on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldenrod_(car)

summers bros.jpg

Edited by grayhair

11 hours ago, grayhair said:

Yeah, but they're the cat's ass for land speed racing.  Four engines worked well for the Summers Brothers., 4 Chrysler hemis, normally aspirated.  Went 409 mph in the '60s and their record stood for 40+ years.  Incredible that the brothers built their car in the shade of their parents So. California fruit stand.  Later got some sophisticated help with an engineer and a wind tunnel but nonetheless a truly incredible accomplishment by these guys.  I remember reading a few years ago that the car was being restored and was going to the Henry Ford museum.  Here's an old photo and link to a write-up on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldenrod_(car)

summers bros.jpg

That was when people with a dream could do it. Here's Mickey Thompsons Challenger I when it was injected .not blown. 4 Pontiac 421 c.i.for his first LSR try.

Second is Craig Breedlove Spirit of American being moved from his mom's garage where it was 60% built.

mickeythompson_zps5f121bbf.jpeg

mickey-thompson-challenger-i-wheels_zpse

MTChallenger1959_1000-700x466_zps0934b89

breedlovespiritofamerica_zps8eb18707.jpg

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

4 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Here's Mickey Thompsons Challenger I

'41, Those are some cool old photos.  I wonder if the guy holding the grinder is a young Roland Leong?  Whenever I see a picture of the Challenger I think of The Pumpkin Seed even though they have nothing in common except their original time period.  The Pumpkin Seed has been resurrected and runs about 280 mph.  Not bad for a Ford flathead V8.  Here's a photo from 2006.   

shop 023.jpg

Edited by grayhair

17 minutes ago, grayhair said:

'41, Those are some cool old photos.  I wonder if the guy holding the grinder is a young Roland Leong?

The man holding the grinder is  Kent Fuller, who was Thompsons  go to for chassis work all the way up to Challenger II.

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2017 at 7:41 PM, 41chevy said:

"Ohio George" Montgomery built my 2.7  four with modern technology.  George drag raced a turbo Pinto with much success. The car hit the Super Stock scene in 1976, and Montgomery raced it until he retired in 1984. It was the last car he drove in competition. The 2.0L plant was making 500 hp with a single turbo 26 lbs. of boost, blowing through a Holley carb. The car racked up lots of divisional wins and a few national event class wins. Best time he ran was .8.93 second at 162 mph.

Mine is 2.7 DOHC Ford Fusion Block set up for Methanol. Using a 8 plug cross flow head, using eight injectors with a 4 stage NOx running 40 to 50 of staged boost through a chill cooled intercooler,, vari lift cam, crankcase vacuum pump and Aires 9 to 1 compression pistons. Block and head girdles,ARP Studs and modified for cross bolted mains. Bad luck to mention h.p. but well above Georges 1976 engine. My chassis is certified for sub 7's. 

2015 technology

6gme0jo_zps47b5200c.jpg

svt2300_zpse57a28f5.jpg

1976 technology, 500 h.p.

ford-ohio-george-pinto-turbocharged_zpsn

That's just amazing to me!..and I thought it was amazing to see two six cylinder Chevy II's turning 11's at Suffolk dragway in the 70's- unheard of for a six cylinder at the time, around here anyway.  I had a low 14 second '72 350 Nova and a high 13 second 70 Chevelle SS 396 that I thought were fast- They were fast to me, but they'd be like riding a turtle to Paul and Larry!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Here's a picture of the Nova. It's not a good picture, but it's about the only one I have. It was actually blue but you can't tell by this picture!

58e948a82ccd8_Scan_20161207(21).jpg.fcf6eeb91c19c095ab28ea3860f6f920.jpg

I have no photos of the Chevelle I had,  but it looked just like this- dark green, darker green vinyl top, white stripes on the hood and trunk. This one has the cowl induction hood, it's probably got the LS6 454. Mines had the 396/350, which was actually the 402 c.i. big block. And it was bored .030 over, had a Crane cam, 780 Holley, Edelbrock Tarantula intake...it was nice!

1970-Chevelle-SS.thumb.jpg.aa53d7cf63acac77131e63014a1da698.jpg

And this is actually Herb Ketter's picture, but my engine looked just like this- Tarantula intake, the carb. sat a little sideways on it, and I had the same air filter and the same Accel Super Coil ignition.That was about the only air filter option, or the hood wouldn't close. He also had a big block Chevelle, but I think he had a 427. 

Tarantula55738.jpg.2f435e3b39c45a4af2e92a4371caaba4.jpg

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.